1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the Best ZTR and specifically why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Feb 18, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Please give me concrete reasons. Like compare Hydrolics, cut, engine option, handling, etc. I know a lot of guys have their own personal preference, but I need objective reasons what to buy. Thanks.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Do a search on this, ill bet youll find a few hundred pages from threads like this one.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

This is like opening a can of worms,.
  4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

There is no best ZTR. What you need to do is to define the conditions that you will be operating in and go from there.

Some are better on hills.
    Some are faster.
    Some are more maneuverable.
    Some are lighter.
    Some are tougher.
    Some are cheaper.
    Some have better warranty.
    Some have better dealer support.
  5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman sells a special line of ZTR mowers, infact they only make one and it's ONLY availible at sears. Most sears have them on sale right now. I'd get it while it's hot!
  6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

more like taking a hornets nest down with a baseball bat
  7. DUG

DUG LawnSite Member

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

How many of the "which is best" threads have acutally cleared anything up and gotten anyone anywhere?

There are probably a hundred variables that go into determining what might be the best, and they are unique to every individual.
  10. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I'll bite. My preference is John Deere for several reasons. 1) 2 gallons of hydro fluid and dual pumps to keep things cool. You will not find that with eXmark, Toro and lots of other manufacturers. There are some others that also have large capacity hydro's I just can't think of them right now. 2) The 7-iron deck lays a down beautiful cut and really evacuates clippings well. Also, the decks remain cleaner than any other mower deck I have ever used. 3) JD's, as a rule, come with Kawasaki engines that have proven to be very reliable, powerful and easy starting. 4) Where I live and work I must have ZTR's that are capable of handling slopes and the John Deere Mid-Trak and Max-Trak Z's are second to none when it comes to stability. 5) The service and support I get with John Deere further sells me on why I think they are the best.
    Some of these are fact's and others are my opinion's, take it for what it's worth.