what is the best ztr and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by will@otherside, Apr 11, 2001.

1. will@otherside

will@otherside LawnSite Member

I have been considering a new ztr for this year and have read several post but,my mind is still foggy.I hear alot of different opinion's.I know the magic $ is in the $8k range but there are a lot of options to chose from.I have been looking at a new TURF TIGER w/27hp kawi,as well as the exmark w/27 kawi and since I live so close to dixie chopper it is on my list as well oh yeah I almost forgot the Hustler Z. Greatful for any help.

2. will@otherside

Sorry I forgot to mention deck size 60" range.

3. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have run Exmarks for over a year now and am very pleased. I demo-ed a 60" Hustler a few weeks back and for $7200, I would definetly consider it for my next mower. The deck was 7 guage - pretty tough. My father purchased the turf tiger and is happy, but its only got 20 hrs on it. Not enough to tell how its going be. I've read alot of complaints here on scag lately. Toro Z's are cheaper, but have stamped decks. thats all I have knowledge on -

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You can get the XW2303 Dixie Chopper for that. It is the painted model, with OCDC, good seat and Donaldson air filter. The reason I get DC's is the longevity of them. I've had 4 and next to no repairs. There are several good ones out there, just demo them all, you decide the winner.

5. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I could not tell you simply because i only own one and its brand new. The best thing that I can tell you is go look at all of them that you can and get some reading material and pick out which ones you need to demo and go from there. Also I would stay away from a gas burner.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Like Eric said demo the top of the line brands.Dixie,Toro,Exmark, Grasshopper,Danes,Scag,ect,and the one you buy will be the best. At least to you it is. I like scag walkbehinds but the zeees clump to bad,just my opinion ive demo them. Marks Mowing Service

7. will@otherside

Eric, it sounds like you have had good luck w/the dc's that was not the case with a couple of lco's here in indy that i recently talked to.Another thing that has really turned me against dc is the dealer that is nearest my home he is very pushy and quite the a@#hole.I own a 2000 Turf Tiger now with the 25hp Kohler that has 500 hrs on it and (knock on wood )_no problems yet but I'm in need of another ztr.On another note a couple of months ago there were some pics of a spring system that a guy had fabricated to ease lifting of his trailer gate and i thaought it was you if so and you still have them I'd like to see them again..thanks

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Then take it off of your list. That leaves you with the Scag, the Exmark and the Hustler. Since you already have the Scag all you need to do is test drive the Exmark and the Hustler.

Exmark and Scag seem to be the 2 most popular mowers out there judging from the number of threads about them.

There are 187 threads about Exmark, 95 threads about Scag, 26 threads about Hustler and 35 threads about DCs.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You have 5 DC dealers in Indy, so it can't be to far to the next dealer. You also have the factory so close to you if your dealer can't fix it, the factory can. Yes, I've had great luck with my Choppers and my next new mower will be another one. I have one with 3237 hours on it and I might replace it, and I also have a 2001 diesel XW2600 and like it a lot. The new XW2400 is also a nice unit, the one with the 24 HP Honda engine. Several LS members got one this spring and love them. I think it's a winner. :)

Yes I'm the one with the spring lift assist. Go to my website, then equipment page and at the top you will see Gate Lift Page. You can just click on this to take you right there too. http://www.elmlawnsite.com/gate_lift_page.htm

10. Southern901

Southern901 LawnSite Member

We have finally had enough consistent warm weather that I was able to try the Hustler Z the other day and from all indications, I am leaning towards that unit. We tried it in various situations...hills, rough, smooth, etc. and the one thing I can say is besides being built for war, it left one of the nicest striping effects that I have seen for a zero turn rider. My dealer also indicated since I asked about a larger hp engine that Hustler was coming out with what he phrased it as the "super z" which would have a quicker ground speed...like you really need it since it already does about 11 mph and a larger engine. Im almost of the opinion to wait for that unit then decide what to do.