1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is The Best?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gatewayuser, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the cheapest and best pre-e with fert that Lesco sells? What N-P-K do you use with the pre-e I was thinking around 24-6-12 or so depending on soil samples. Thanks!

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately the words cheap and best can't be used in the same sentence usually... This is true for preemergents as well. Cheapest is going to be Pendimethelin (Pre-Em) but it will turn everything yellow and usually needs to be applied twice to get a full season coverage. Best is either Barricade or Deminsion. Both are about the same price but last longer and can either be applied in one app or two. Both are more expensive than Pre-Em...

The N P K question wil have to be answered by someone in your area, that stuff varies from region to region too much.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Like I tell my customers you can have the cheapest or you can have the best, But you cant have both!

4. Gatewayuser

Thanks
    I figured I would have to use dimension its just so exspensive.

5. indyturf

from Indy

I got a price of $13.75 for 19-0-6 w/dem. but that was before Jan. 1, and I was buying 500 bags.

6. Gatewayuser

Thats a good price everything I am looking at is $24 per bag.:dizzy: :cry:

7. indyturf

from Indy

I think there was a price inscrease Jan 1. but you might want to check around, you can probablly do better than that!

8. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

It's not the price of the bag of fert, its the cost per M applied. I bought my fert/dimension at about $19 per bag, but it was the least expensive by far per thousand.

9. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

If you want the cheapest, try a product with Team. It usually runs less money when comparing similar fert blends

10. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Gateway, I got a price from Beechmont on Dimension 19-0-6 for $18.55 (i believe that is the pallet price).

As far as what N-P-K to use I almost think 19 is even too high. The grass greens and grows good enough in the spring without me adding too much N. I dont want to have a jungle on my hands when I arrive to mow.