What is the better business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bkdlawnCo, Nov 4, 2005.

1. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    What is the better business to strive for, landscape construction/lawn care/maintance or turfgrass management/golf course management....does anyone know how much a golf course superintendent makes a year?....i'm asking for your opinion's....this will kind of help me decide what major to take in college...
  2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

They all carry their own headaches, you know. If you work for someone else, you probably won't be in direct control of how much money you make, but with your own business the amount you make surely can be determined by your desire, ability, and willingness to work hard.

You can have a flop of a landscape construction business if you don't have what it takes to run a business, but you could make a fortune off of mowing lawns if you're the Donald Trump apprentice type.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that they all have their pros and cons

I think landscape installation you can make the must money at, yet has the most headaches, while maintenance you don't make as much on, but have less headaches
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get all the collage knowledge you want,which I recommend ,but it still don't mean you will have what it takes to be a businessman, in landscapeing or maintenance.Landscape design and installation is where the money is,and is what I'd pursue my education in.I'd also study hard the business aspect of whatever you specialize in.
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the most headaches are a golf course sup. no job is as hard as that one, I know I have been around golf courses for years. A sup has no job security, lose a green to drought, lose your job. have Pythium run wild on ya on a hot humid night, lose your job, simple as that, I know a sup that had a load of top dressing soil delievered for areation time, trying to change the composition of the greens, turned out the soil was contaminated, killed all the greens off, not his fault, how was he to know? he just ordered up the soil, lost his job that year. golf course super is a 24/7 job, my old boss practically lived on that course, most supers don't last much more than 5 years at any club. and the only course you will get into big bucks at, is the upscale clubs.
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Owning your own business can surely be a 24/7 job, but again it's all about how much effort your willing to put into your work. I'm still waiting for the day that I can afford to hire people to do the non-paying work such as the equipment maintenance, bookkeeping, billing, and so forth.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I like cutting grass..... Dang it I cant help it I just like it.

and I hate planting flowers..

So i think it all boils down to what ya like