What is the better setup Exmark's ECS or Toro's T bar?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 5, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The ex system looks a whole lot better and more thought out. What would you prefer? Im looking at replacing the old 32'' snapper one of these days, I like both companies but wonder about their handle systems.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

ECS by far. It might not be technically easier to control but in challenging situations it's nice be able to manipulate the machine a little more than you can with the T-bar. I like running the mower like I run dozers, go forward until you pull the levers to tell the machine to stop.

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Yeah that makes a lot of sense by the way how do you like your 303?

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I like the T-bar better, when you need to stop just take your hands off the T-bar and it comes to nuetral. pick up a piece of trash or what ever and continue to mow

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, T bar BELT DRIVE is so easy, when doing hills , just go side to side,when you are ready to turn, point the mower up at the end of the line, she FLOATS back to ya effortlessly and you can turn the dang thing with only one hand on the control I NEVER EVER USED REVERSE>>>>EVER. You just gotta know how to use it.

6. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both and I like the ECS better for a Hydro Exmark.. But from what I remember with the Toro Tbar belt you get a tru reverse... If you are going for a belt you may want to consider the Tbar....

I could be wrong on the tbar reverse but I remember the mower backing up on its own and not having to assist it....

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

On the T-Bar, with reverse you have to push the bar forward like you do to go forward, except the transmission is in reverse.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

On my T-bar belt drive the reverse is pretty much useless

9. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

ok disregard my Tbar experience then.... I then must vote for the ECS....

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

On the ECS, how does that work??

I don't have an Exmark dealer nearby, about 40 miles from here.

Do you put it in gear, then squeeze a brake handle to turn??

Or do you have to hold the handle to go, then it stops when you let go??

Also, how does the reverse work?

I'm looking for a 44" hydro T-Bar Toro for alot of "under pine tree work" that I have at a school, but even Toro has started to back out of the T-Bar, going to mostly pistol grips.