1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the big deal about ZTR'S ????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by supper_slash, May 3, 2005.

1. supper_slash

supper_slash LawnSite Member

Are ztr's that much faster? and what makes them so much faster? there Top speed? the zero turning radius? Please explaine to me why they are so much faster. :blob3: and What is so bad about a Lawn Tractor. ?
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Worst problem with tractors is the mid mount deck. Leaves too much uncut grass. ZTR turns on a dime. Great for tight spots. You should demo one sometime. One advantage to the tractors though is if you run any implements. One way to get around the tight spot problem with the tractors is to run a flex deck. If you have really large areas and set up the mower right it can be faster to use the tractor according to one meber on here that does it. Welcome to the board. :waving:
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to explain it is test drive a ztr. The experience is worth a thousand words and a barrel of fun :D
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Like the Harley Davidson ad says "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand" I didn't "understand" even though I had owned many motorcycles until I bought my Harley....now I completely understand. It's the same with a Z vs. a lawn tractor.
  5. wrestler07

wrestler07 LawnSite Member

My dad just bought a zero turn and it cuts in about half the time... you dont have to keep turning around to recut the same area... plus it moves much faster.
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

bagging capacity is why they are 1 for me plus speed. but they have negatives also. everyone needs different so do what works for you
  7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

The top speed, ztr, and the quality of cut. The ztr save you alot of time.
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

When i used to cut this one church I used a 60" lazer, balls out across the open feilds so 11 mph or whatever the top speed is and it still cut beautifully. This was for another company, as soon as I can i'm going to get a 52/54" ztr.
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Kind of like asking whatÂ’s the big deal with front-end loaders I have a shovel. And last year I moved 400 yards of top soil by hand but I do no the difference but you use what you can afford.
  10. BillyRgn8

BillyRgn8 LawnSite Member

my buddy just bought first ztr scag 52in , he used to do 20 lawns per day with 2 48 in walkbehind and i kid weedwackin now he does the same 20 in a half day with the one ztr and one kid weed wackin