What is the blade height adjustment for doubles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by padude2004, May 26, 2005.

1. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

I put doubles on my scags yesterday. I was amazed by the difference in cut; however, it looked like my lawns were a little shorter than normal. I realized that i did not account for the extra blade being under the spacers. what would the extra blade account for, maybe an extra 1/4 inch?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

1/4 inch exactly is what you should take into account...

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yes.
    Most OEM blades are .204 in thickness, a 1/4 inch is .250.

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Im no math whiz, but the deck is pitched, so wouldnt the 1/4" by even more once the deck pitch is taken into consideration? I started running doubles this year too, but after the first cut its back to business as usual, so I never made any compensation for it. My other mower with a mulch kit is a little worn (front tires) so the two cut at the same height now.

Kevin

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand...what is it you're asking about the pitch?

6. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Your adding the 1/4" thickness to the spindle, the deck is pitched forward, so the front of the blade when it is all the way to the front of the deck will be even lower, wont it? Or am I overcomplicaing a relatively simple measurement?

7. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

i added doubles to my wb and z. my goal is to figure out how to keep them cutting at the same height as well as figure out what the setting will change to. for example, if you are at the 2.5 setting on the mowers, what are you are truly cutting at. at this point i need to raise my decks in order to mow at the same level. the answer i believe would be to raise the decks .5 or .250?

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Having the deck pitched forward doesn't mean the front is lower it means the rear is higher. It helps pull the grass toward the direction you are mowing which assists in striping.

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

NO, you are NOT over-complicating things. The adjustment is relative. YES, the method you are using IS lowering the blade tip just 1/4". A majority of mowersa have blade spacers that are 1/4" thick, and deck spacers that are 1/2" thick. Mathematize it from there.

10. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I never go by the marked setting on the mower height adjustment. They are almost always wrong.

Measure your blade from the cutting edge to the ground. Do this on something solid like a garage floor.

Do this for all of your mowers and you will know that they are at the correct height.