What is the cheapest way to secure an 800 number?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by spray_man, Apr 17, 2007.

1. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

Been a long time since I had an 800 number about 20 years maybe. Back then you had to give up your first born. I know things are different now. Anyway, I have an idea for a business, and part of it centers around the 800 number being something recognizable. I know I can call the companies, and get info that way. However, staying on the phone with the tel. co. is not something I look forward to doing (up to my arss in work right now). If any of you have looked at this matter recently, can you share what you know with me? Does Vonage have an 800 service? What about the cell companies?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our phone provider is verizon. I called them to add an 800 # they asked if i was looking for something specific. Which I was we went through what was available and I chose one. It cost $5.00 per month plus toll charges. Took about 20 minutes from start to finish.

3. spray_man

Thanks jc1. So you didn't even have to add another line right? In the old days you had to add a separate line. Fabulous. Do you know if you can shop around for the cheapest toll rates like you can with long distance service?

4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to our cable provider one day about phone service. She told me i could even get a 800 number through them. Their phone service is like 29.99 per month and since all calls in the us are free i do not see why there would be any toll charges. You might want to check with your cable provider also to see if they have this service in your area.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck getting an 800 number with an obvious tag in it. They are almost all taken. We have one with verizon where we get a package deal for phone, fax, and toll free number. It's not even 800, it's an 866 number. Took almost a week to finally come up with one that actually spelled out something. :)

6. spray_man

Thanks for the heads up paponte. Just curious, what did you come up with? . . . . . I wonder if 1-800-ALL-GONE is still available?

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

It's not now...... buying and selling 800 numbers is big business, just like with domain names.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We have 1-866-4PAPONTE. One digit over, but it works. Like stated above, you can pay an arm and leg for numbers.

9. buchwald

buchwald LawnSite Member

I don't know if you're looking for a vanity number? I have one available. See my signature below.
    Thanks,
    Mike

10. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my 888# from www.tollfreenumber.org. I paid $99 and I own my # now. I pay less than $5 per month for the service. You can search on there for the #s available or you can call them. They are really nice and friendly people and will do anything to keep you happy. I had my # setup in 2 days from the time I ordered it.