1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the deal with liner this year?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Mar 20, 2011.

1. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's not the price of boulders, fuel, and everything else being skyhigh in the pond industry, now pond liner is getting out of control. Our nation is killing ourselves within raising the cost of everything.:hammerhead:
  2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Blame it on the price of oil. Many of the products used in the Water Feature industry are petroleum based, such as EPDM.

How much of an increase did your supplier implement? Of my two main suppliers, one showed no increase and the other showed a $.02 sq/ft increase. Of course, these are not you typical cut-rate on-line sellers.

I have never been able to decipher the pricing policies employed in this business. For example, a pump that I use quite often showed a price increase from the manufacturer this year. The same exact pump from one of their distributors showed a decrease in price from last year. Go figure!!:dizzy::dizzy:
  3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

It's gone up $.04-$.08 depending on which supplier I use. I know it's due to the petroleum robbers, but it hasn't budged since '07 for me at least. Now with the BS happening in Japan and Libya that will probably hit us again.

I haven't checked on the pumps but I think they are staying at the same rate as last year.
  4. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Shipping rates will most likely increase also.

Just have to pass the cost increase to the customer. Not much choice.
  5. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Liner is made out of Petroleum, petroleum markets trade based on the US currency, Federal government is borrowing and printing more dollars. Translation: govt. actions are directly responsible for the price increase in liners and anything you buy that requires shipping. Vote for fiscal constraint - regardless of party!