1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is the deal...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Sep 22, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the deal with mower manufactures putting roll bars on their mowers now?? I was in the grasshopper dealer today and all the '05s have them now...and they AREN'T removable. why are they all going to roll bars now? I sure am glad i've got an '04
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

LIABILITY suits, lawyers and the like are probably a LOT of the reason, Maybe osha too? There have been a few fatalites lately involving ZTR's, maybe it's just a knee jerk reaction to pressure from some organisation.
  3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get out the old fire axe. That will remove those roll bars.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

does that void the warranty?
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it should be an option not mandatory but when they see the extra dollars they always go for them exmarks are bolted on thank god but if they werenÂ’t then I would be using a cutting torch.

Sometimes companies come out with some very well thought out safety devices and sometimes they don't this is one of them more of a nuisance then anything.
  6. rico387

rico387 LawnSite Member

Anything that is highly manuverable is inherintly unstable. A good example are those Pitts Special biplanes that can do all the neat aerobatics. They can hardly fly in a straight line. Our zero turn mowers are no different. Most are not advised for slopes greater than 15 degrees. Many of us run them on much greater slopes. If you mow around a pond you not only risk being crushed by a 1000lb. mower, but it can pin you and drown you. Ledges suddenly give away. LCOs die every month in like incedents. A roll bar can potientially save not just the operator, but the mower too. If this sounds like it can't happen to you then go to your favorite search engine and put in "lawnmower death". Cheers
    Rick IAFF local 2294.
  7. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Picked up a new Toro 52" :rolleyes: Z-Master It has one on it also, (tree limb hangers) just fold it down and keep on getting up. Oh BTW did you notice the seat belt?
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper has put them on as standard equipment due to liability issues. The dealers must install them, and should not take them off for the customer, due to liability issues. They are easily removable on the Grasshoppers. Only 4 bolts to remove. Probably would take 30 min. tops to remove one.
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubota Got sued a couple years ago . So they started putting them on their Zs. Kubota was one of the first to start putting them on.
  10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

This is why operators should be tested before buying these machines. It is because some idiots were in too much of a hurry to use the right equipment properly that we now all have to follow these rules. I think it will void some warranties but i am not sure. Also, if this become law then we might get tagged by osha if we dont have them. Wright Standers look more appealing to me by far than one of them roll bars. If they would make a ztr that was good that we could bail from easily i think we could bypass this issue. It is a real pain. I know turf has an article coming out next month i think with some roll bar stuff in it. I am not sure though.

Maybe we should all just start sending our bills to the manuf. for the repairs and damages done by these stupid things. ;)