What is the difference of buying a business or building one through advertising?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by premierlawncare, Feb 8, 2006.

1. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

What is the difference of buying a business or building one through advertising?

Most posters here think that lawn biz's are not saleable assets. My question is if you can buy 100 accounts for example for $40,000, what is the difference in spending $40,000 in advertising/marketing to get the 100 accounts?

1st, I like this guy DFW Area Landscaper, he has alot of energy and I think he will be a millionaire one day. My point is this guy is spending money to "START UP" his business. I have seen alot of these examples and others have stated that they dont think they will make alot of profit the first year.

2nd, marketing to start a business can be more risky than buying an existing business. The reason is you might not get a good return on investment. For example the market might be tight, you might not be good at advertising etc.

You guys need to start thinking like business owners. Accounts and a business name have value. You can sell it when you want to get out. Talk to a business broker and learn about the value.