What is the difference of Gardening & Landscaping...?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dcpark, Oct 18, 2007.

1. dcpark

dcpark LawnSite Member
    from LA

What is the difference of Gardening & Landscaping...?

I am studying about Landscaping or Gardening. (I am not sure which word is appropriate for me)

When I study the book or research on the internet, I can not distinguish this words Landscaping and Gardening.

I may not understand because I am not a american and not a native speaker.

Please, explain for me.

If you are confused, just reply like this "it is confuing for me".

This reply would also be helpful for me.

Thank you for your answering, in advance.

2. Gator Lawn

Gator Lawn LawnSite Member

Gardening is cutting grass, pulling weeds, trimming shrubs, and planting plants. Landscaping is putting in the structures that the architect dictates and the gardener grows weeds and grass in.The landscape architect is at the top of the chain.

3. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

landscaper will physically create the landscape from the designers blue prints, garden more or less maintains the landscaping which is already there

4. dcpark

dcpark LawnSite Member
    from LA

I appreciate your all answers...

your answers are very helpful to me.

Thank you very much.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if a word like "design" is not tacked onto the end, then both words "landscaping" and "gardening" are very, very close to being synonymous.

Landscaping is often associated with installing new yards and plantings.

But gardening also involves installing new plants. Like replacing summer annuals with winter annuals. Gardening also involves planting shrubs.

In Portland city, the top level civil service test for the park bureau is "gardener" and is virtually identical to a horticulturist.

A business can start-up, calling itself a "Gardening Service" and do virtually identical services as a landscaping company - and the title and services would not at all be misleading; totally accurate.

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Dictionary.Com

Landscaping:
    verb (used without object)
    5. to improve the appearance of (an area of land, a highway, etc.), as by planting trees, shrubs, or grass, or altering the contours of the ground.
    6. to improve the landscape of.
    7. to do landscape gardening as a profession.

Gardening:

gar·den·ing /ˈgɑrdnɪŋ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gahrd-ning] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. the act of cultivating or tending a garden.
    2. the work or art of a gardener.
    [Origin: 1570–80; garden + -ing1]

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes...just about the same.

Like the Portland City gardeners I mentioned. They do landscaping to city property like parks, as their "work or art of a gardener".

Or landscapers working on gardens, or making gardens.

So virtually synonymous in some respects.