1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the easiest starting handheld equipment?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evergreenpros, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting tired of pulling on my echo handhelds. 3-6 hard pulls when cold and if it sits for more than 30 min, it's 2-4 hard pulls. Starts great when hot though, 1st pull every time. I have srm-230 trimmer and 230 stick edger, they have been this way since new. I've tried the echo synthetic blend 2 stroke oil as well as the opti-2 oil and there was no difference in starting difficulty.

You guys have any suggestions for easy starting trimmers, edgers, and blowers?
  2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I had this problem with an echo trimmer once. This was before they had the easy start system. I would take seven hard pulls for it sputter than 2 more to get it running decent. To tell you the truth get rid of them, (sell them) I got a new trimmer with the easy start system. It fires on the 2nd or third pull, I don't have to pull hard either. I have an Echo 750 backpack blower and it fires on the second pull even when its been sitting through a month of 10 or 15 or 20 degrees weather. I have used the blower this passed winter for snow removal and it worked well. The easy start is the way to go.
  3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I love Stihl hand held products but they do not start easily!
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably will get hammered on this but I've had no problems with my Echo equipment so far. I've been using pretty much all of it for about three weeks and everything starts 1st or 2nd pull cold or hot. I did buy all new 2005 equipment and would add the backpack blower 751 kicks some serious arse!! Had a yard that had two walnut trees, I was there doing a cleanup Friday and this thing literally dug the old walnuts out of their half buried holes in the yard and right across it ( 225-250 ft) into the timber with the rest of the debris. My dealer told me he thought it would blow a brick across the drive way, he was kidding but after using it I'm not sure that it dang near wouldn't actually do it :)

Any way I know my stuff is new but my dealer (used to/still does a little lawn care) has a great reputation, has great service and stands behind all he sells. I guess its in his best interest to see a guy succeed and grow. Just my .02

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Got rid of about a dozen Echo machines and replaced them with Redmax...amen.
  6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an explanation but the Echo string trimmers are hard to start, hot or cold. I have some Kawasaki hand helds and it starts on the first pull, second at the most. There is one Redmax dealer close by and I don't understand why Redmax keeps a clown like him selling their stuff. Matt
  7. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

I have had a bunch of Echo equipment over the years and none of them were hard starting.

I use 89 octane gas and good oil and had no problems at all.

Recently switched to Redmax due to a dealer change and they have no problems either.

Stihl trimmers, blowers are VERY hard to start!
  8. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Late last season i started haveing the same problem with my bcz2500 reddmaxx trimmer.Rod father you got any suggestions that may help me .I put a new plug in it an still no luck.I love the power it has .....once it starts!
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Try cracking the fuel cap open a little...it may not be venting properly.
  10. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

Get shindaiwa or redmax. There is no way that you should have to try anything else like cracking the cap or any other garbage, even if it helps, to start any handheld. My guys absolutely wear the shindaiwas out and they start first pull every time. I do no regular maintenance on any handheld with the exception of air filters on the blowers only and lube hedge trimmers. I never touch the filters on the other handhelds exept once a year, and it costs around .65 per unit to replace air and fuel filter. Redmax are close to the same from what I have heard. I have no shindaiwa dealer close to me, and dont really need one. We broke down for the first time in three years with shindaiwa equipment last wed. and it was the bolts on the carb to intake spacer. I fixed it in about 30 min and it ran off on a fellas back full throttle 2 minutes after that. We do use Stihl saws and an Echo pole pruners. They are great for what we do, but they dont run like shindaiwa. By the way, two years ago I was stupid enough to be talked into swapping to stihl handhelds. I bought the 4-mixes on stick equipment, the best stihl blowers br420, hedge trimmers hs80, and new saws. Saws are still here and great. My experience was horrible with the stihl fc110. My guys hated them. I tryed and it just did not work out. Sorry for the long post, but I hope to save you the trouble that I have already been through. T261, LE261, AH231, DH231, EB630. These are the models we use.