What Is the easiest to use 3D Design Program

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Daner, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I Don't want to spend a lot of money On a program...how ever I need a program, That you take a picture then add the plants ,trees etc. It has to have a plant tree library
    Thanks
    Daner

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Daner, what is a lot of money for the program you seek. To make an investment in a program like Pro Landscape to be used a a presentation tool for your designs can be well worth it. Some of the homeowner software may give you 3D imaging, but I don't know if is up to the quality you would present to a client. Good design is essential for good landscaping, so a quality image can mean a successful sale and installation along with a well thought out plan.

Kirk

3. Daner

Do I have to take some training to get rolling on this program...Or do you think The average guy could figure It out?? I have punch super home...and I can run that program not too bad.
    Is this Pro landscape program like Drafix?? Also whats the costs and who sells them.
    Thanks for your help.
    Daner

4. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

I just bought Pro Landscape ($1395), the 3d imaging is easy to learn. I feel that the cad design part has a bigger curve. It helps to have a background in cad too.

5. Daner

Thats the part that scares me...The Cad...I like to click and drag...But I do have old fashion Drafting experience.
    I do want quility Imaging...But I don,t expect to be come a pro landscape Designer...Like Dreams to Design...I will need It for a project here and there soto speak...and also to keep up with the times.
    What other programs are close to Landscape Pro??
    I need the plant/tree library...Or should I just bite down and go for the Landscape pro??

6. Dreams To Designs

Daner, 3D imaging is relatively simple to get the hang of and make really professional presentations. As Iowa said, the plan feature takes some time and energy on your part, but their training program reduces that curve sharply. The training program will also greatly benefit you in 3D imaging as well and even the proposal feature if you care to use it.

The most important aspect you must consider are the limitations of the software. It is just a tool, in plan mode, a digital pencil, in 3D imaging a photo realistic presentation. None of the software will help you design or create designs without your own skills, talents and knowledge. The software can help you choose plants for your area or specifications, but you must know what you are doing to create sustainable designs.

While you are looking at software, check out Horticopia. http://horticopia.com/
    It is an interactive plant encyclopedia and it is a tool I use almost everyday to assist in my designs as well as advise the many installers I work with. You can be very specific as to the attributes of the plants you desire. It also makes a great presentation tool as well as giving your client choices and real control over the plants in their projects. The information you desire can be compiled into PDF files and emailed or burned to a disc or flash drive and also enables you to print out lots of information or just a little with photos of the plants you are suggesting.

Kirk

7. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

I noticed that it's $200 off right now. Should have bought it two weeks later!

8. Dreams To Designs

Daner, the CAD or plan section of Pro Landscape is a great deal of click & drag. It does take more time and energy to learn, but practice and their training will make it easier. The more professional your presentations, the better your jobs will be. When you are able to use the 3D imaging to get your ideas across to your client in a simple and easily identified fashion, they are much more eager to give you what you need to make it happen.

If the skills or amount of time it takes is beyond you, find someone to work with that can create a mutually beneficial agreement for both of you. You can easily send a photo of the property in question along with your ideas as well as your clients and a designer with 3D image abilities can get an image back to you in a short time that will both impress and relieve your clients apprehensions.

If it is a plant library you seek, check out Horticopia. With their XE Professional version and some addition photo portfolios, you will have the largest collection of plant phots and information available from a single source. You can create great presentations, with just a little information or an overwhelming amount with photos for your clients. With Horticopia, you are able to create PDF files that can be emailed or burned to a disc or flash drive to be shared with the client as well as printed out.

Kirk

9. Daner

I can see It Now...Designs by Daner:) ...Thanks for all the help...I went on the Drafix website...and from what you have told me I think I may be able to handle this program. I do understand that It will take some effort..but that I'm willing to advire. also I understand what your saying Kirk...that the man on the keyboard has alot to do with a good design or a bad one...for Instance I have always tryed to convince customers to put In lots of drive way space/parking etc...and to have what I always call Flow..on pathways etc. There Is a trade show coming here Jan 09...and I will be looking for there rep...maybe they may have a pc set up ,so I can do a demo on it. All In all sound like it would be the right program for me...I may not use all the tools or functions...but I may at a later time.

Dan

10. Dreams To Designs

Dan, call Pro Landscape and ask for David Sloan. He will send you a demo and he can let you know where they will be for the trade show season. They always have a couple of PC's running the program at the shows, so you will be able to see for yourself. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help.

Kirk