1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the etiquette on filling spray tank with customer's water?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PamlicoLawnCare, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

:clapping: Thank you sir. The "common sense" you bring to the conversation is refreshing!
  2. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful about saying that on this board. Let me tell you what happened that last time I said something like that ... :laugh:

Seriously, though, this is just another example of how there's room for different ways of doing things in this industry. Some of us have tastes for different things in our businesses and this is a perfect example.
  3. Skipster

For all you guys who like to mix and load while in the field, do you bring your mixing and loading PPE with you on your truck? For example, the Trimec Classic label requires users to wear a chemical resistant apron while mixing or loading. Do you guys bring this stuff with you and wear it while you're mixing and loading?
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

How does one get hydromulch into a water main? Why was that tank being filled from a hose or pipe used in such a way that back flow was possible? Hard to have back flow when a tank is filled via a correctly used air gap. I have seen spray rigs that have these cute fill inlets on the BOTTOM of the tank. Unless someone has common sense, they would try to hook up their fill hose to those inlets. Those fill inlets are only for filling with nurse tanks. Next one is people sticking a hose into the opening of any kind of sprayer :nono:. Then allowing that tank to overflow. I agree with the other post. If someone cannot fill a tank without spilling concentrates and overflowing the tank, maybe they should find another line of work. I do not think this is the right business for the clumsy or those without any kind of common sense. I PAY MATERIALS. Spilling concentrates on the ground or overflowing tanks is also money lost.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

When there is a catastrophic failure of a water main, the break can act as a Venturi and suck liquid from sources downstream(especially ones that are open). The larger the opening, the easier the source is to draw water from so it's the first to be drawn in. Think about it. They were probably using a minimum 1.5 inch line to fill and it was probably something like Tigerflex so they wouldn't have to worry about it flopping all over the place like a piece of fire hose. A 1.5 inch hose is much easier to draw water from than a garden hose that was left on beside someone's house. Someone got lazy and dropped their large diameter fill line down in the tank and the unthinkable happened...failure of a major water main.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I do. Keep the goggles, gloves, and apron in my trailer.
    I run a ride on and carry only water in a nurse tank, and mix in the field.
    Therefore no worries about contamination from a hose to the nurse tank (no air gap to worry about). I would rather mix on demand than have a bunch of highly concentrated mix sitting around in a nurse tank, but that is just me.
  7. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Interesting topic, and here is my question about pre mixing. If you pre mix, than is it safe to assume that yall carry large spill kits capable of absorbing 110 percent of the largest tank you have on hand? I think I read that somewhere, but not sure. I don't know if that's a requirement or not, I was just doing some searching after reading this topic to see where the facts lie.

Seems that mixing on site using the appropriate PPE would allow you to only carry say 2.5 gallons of a concentrate as an example, and then have a 25 gallon spill kit just in case you had a problem with your mixed tank on site. Some of those larger spill kits would take u a lot of room in a truck, like the ones that are 55 gallons plus.

Not trying to pick sides, just looking for the answers and the facts about this.
  8. greendoctor

That is why there is an air gap on the spray rigs used by the termite control people and on sprayers used outside of a farm. Not having an air gap will attract the attention of the DOA.

Hydromulching does not fall under the purview of the DOA, but I know the water board would not be happy about hoses dropped into a hydromulch tank. That is just stupid.
  9. greendoctor

I just hope that in whatever states are anal about not mixing on site of use also have totally perfect drivers and not just the driver of the spray truck. $hit happens on the roads. Someone texting or fighting with their kids in the back seat of the car or the impatient jackwagon that thinks he is Jeff Gordon but is far from it can bust open that tank mixed on a containment pad and that containment pad will not matter very much.

The DOA in my state checks for mixing and loading PPE. No apron and face shield will attract their attention during an audit. No air gap on a tank even more so. The centralized loading plants used by the now defunct sugar and pineapple plantations are all Superfund sites. No need to repeat history by mandating such sites in the present. Even the national pest control companies do not hit the roads here with filled tanks. They fill on site and leave empty. Only thing that might be contain a live solution is a 1 gallon B&G or the 4 gallon Birchmeier.
  10. Skipster

We run our nurse tanks mixed for the final fill, so we don't have to worry about dilution or carrying around concentrate in jugs or bottle in the field.

So, that prompts my next question:

How do you use your nurse tank? Do you use it as your final fill, do you use it to carry water to mixing, or do you put concentrate in it and use it to mix and fill?