What is the fastest way to..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, Sep 11, 2008.

1. rip up sod? :confused: I have a job that I just started on the lawn that wantsme to re-do their flower beds. The ones along the house have been taking over by the centipede grass. Is there a machine that i can re shape the beds and rip up the sod and weeds with all in one or do I just have to use a shovel? thanks guys
  2. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod cutter....

you could even rent a manual sod cutter for that job....
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'd cut the edges, trim it down to dirt with a trimmer then RU the crap out of it.
  4. will that really work tho? the dirts not being turned tho but i guess that doesnt really matter
  5. hiringus

hiringus LawnSite Member

its called a pick ax
  6. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

a pick axe is a tool used to dig up dirt. However it uses manual labor so im guessing thats a no go lol jk *trucewhiteflag*
  7. hiringus

hiringus LawnSite Member

I guess you've never seen a couple Hispanics each with a pick removing sod. Sometimes referred to as Guatemalan Backhoe. I've seen a group of 3 take up several hundred sq ft in about 10 minutes.
  8. Father&Daughter Lawn care

Father&Daughter Lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

A Sod cutter is the way to go. Check with your local tool rental place, most tool rental places have them. They are a bit heavy but it is the only tool for this job.
  9. bakerc8

bakerc8 LawnSite Member

what about a edger
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sod cutter might be to big to get all of it. He mentioned it's a flower bed. Might not even be able to get the cutter in the beds.