What is the future of landscaping?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PaproskiLandscaping, Dec 14, 2007.

1. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

I am asking because I believe if there is anyplace to find people who are passionate about the trade this would be the site.

We all know about the traditional business models and common services offered by most landscaping companies, but does anyone out there feel that they are on the cutting edge of the industry?

Where do you see the trade going in the next 5 to 10 years? Do you see any shifts in the culture of landscaping? What have you seen as some of the best and worst changes in the trade in the last 20 years? Does anyone out there feel that they offer a unique service or have a particularly different or exceptional niche?

We all know that all trades are not static but are constantly changing with society and culture, so if someone wants to survive in the market today what changes do they need to make? Do you see any changes in the needs and wants of customers? Any interesting trends you have observed?

I know I have asked a lot of questions here and I hope that my inquiry is not to broad, but I really believe that in order to to succeed beyond just getting by you need to be an innovator. Please share your experience, observations and speculation with me!

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

The future of landscaping will follow the applications and rules that are set by landscape architects and their associations. These guys are normally on the front lines of new technology and guidelines that push the industry over time.
    One of the latest pushes is the sustainable sites initiative, this project was done by the American Society of Landscape Architects, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, the United States Botanic Garden and a diverse group of stakeholder organizations to develop guidelines and standards for landscape sustainability.
    These guidelines incorporate design issues on a large scale as to site development and storm water run off

This is a preliminary report on the issue, it is over 250 pages and is full of excellent information. http://www.sustainablesites.org/

3. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

This is what I am talking about! Thank you ICT Bill!

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

ICT Bill -- This is excellent information ... thank you !!

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

water is fast becomming a valuable commodity even on the east coast. I can see irrigation systems where once there were none to save on water. effective monitored usage vs blanket soaking with convetional sprinklers. The plant material may change to reflect water needs more than in the past. I can even see old fashioned rain barrels returning to use by homeowners dedicated to keeping their landscape green. They all need installation. Maybe some new underground version of the rain barrel with pumps? water will cost more in the future.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't a clue, probably same as it is now, just different hehehe

7. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

i agree that water sensitive plantings will take on a life of their own. xeriscaping, "smart" irrigation systems, permeable pavers, rain barrels and vegetative swales will all become commonplace in the near future.