what is the ideal rig setup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, Oct 24, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

Just want your guys opinions......if you could have any setup you wanted(practical though) for a crew that would be doing .5 acer residentials and and other mid to large size commercials.....what would this setup be

for me i was thinking for a 2 men crew:

21 wb
    36 wb
    48 wb

60 ztr
    72 ztr

3 weedwackers
    stick edger
    2 bp blowers

any other thoughts

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think for a two man crew a 52 or 60 ZTR and a 48in hydro walk and 2 21.
    3 weed eater, stick edger and 2 backpack blowers. We have Scag and Stihl power equipment.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Practical I don't know what your definition would be every one is different. What I can tell you is what crew I am building for next season I already run 2 crews but number 3 which will be run by me will have no limitations unlike my other 2. I am buying most everything new which include a 05 GMC SLE 3500 ext cab diesel dump body. A new 8x20 enclosed wells cargo trailer a 72-inch lazer XS with a dual can trac vac system. A 52-inch lazer Z with a single can trac vac system and a 36-inch emark hydro turf tracer. Ill stay with 2 shindawa 4 mix weed wackers and 2 stihl br 420c back packs. And it will be a 3-man crew.

Obviously my most expensive crew but I expect to be cutting $1000-1400 a day with that set up so for me it’s well worth it. Then add in my other 2 crews and it’s a rather nice income. Also lawn size is bigger then half acer the small lawns will be done with the smaller set ups I have.

4. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I think cost wise I would go with 1. 21 inch push, 1 36 hydro wb, 1 60 ZTR, 2 trimmers, 1 BP Blower. Just MO

5. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

3 Weed Eaters for a 2 man crew? Sorry if I dont know, but is there a reason for having 3 for a 2 man crew?

6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie Cutter,
    We have 3 in case one break, because most of our jobs require both of us to trim. We also like to have all of them full of line and fuel, it saves time.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

For half acre jobs, one guy on a Z should be plenty fast. The other guy would be primarily trimming/edging. Of course you'll need something smaller for gated yards. Most of my gates are 42" or less, so a 36" or 32".

I don't think you really need 3 trimmers, or 2 blowers, but you know your props better than I do.

8. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

3 weedeaters for two guys is too much. I could see 2, having one for a spare, but I only carry one. You have too much money invested in equipment for two men. So as I see it 2 weedeaters, 1 backpack blower, 1 stick edger, 1 21" mower and a 42" or 48" w/b and a 52" or 60" ZTR (or wb). Even this much can be overkill, but you have to know if there is a need for his stuff. Sometimes a 60" is too much mower and a 42" may not be enough. It is hard to have a standard that everyone follows for a 2 man crew. But like I said quite a bit of money for equipment, especially for a 16 year old. If your going from the lawn tractor, a walk behind would increase your production, ZTR's are very expensive.

9. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

Gotcha, thanks :)

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

You need a 6 1/2 foot 455 JD and a 9 1/2 foot JD 595
    My wife and I mow about 14 properties ranging from 15K to 17 acres - 35 acres total in 1 1/2 days. (Tues afternoon and Wed) - BTW - Most have severe ditches and lots of trimming (curbs)