What is the key to manually changing tires?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EVM, Mar 10, 2013.

1. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

Every chance I can I replace all my caster wheels with solids from Northern tool on every mower I got.:cool2:

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Step one remove wheel from machine and insert into pickup bed. Step two drive to discount tire store and watch as they repair it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My key to easy tire changes....... I give them to one of the other guys !!! :weightlifter:

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Rob, the only problem for me is the"other guy" never seems to disappear when it's time for a tire repair.:hammerhead:

For what it's worth, I've been using the Slapper routine for the last 15 years after flailing away with a couple of the Northern Tool type mini tire changers the shop tried out--two large screwdrivers, needle nose vise grips, and a can of Liquid Film works for me.

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Vice grips are the key! Sometimes I use a couple of 'em. Also, it helps to lube the inside of the upper/last bead. Really helps it get over the rim edge.

6. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

A guy at a tire store once told me that with any tire if you can leave it out in the sun for a few hours the rubber will get more pliable.

7. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

had to change some tires last week-end not quite as small as casters and found heating(warm touch) the tires up just enough to soften the stiffen rubber up made the whole tire changing thingy along with three pairs of hands still a bear.