What is the latest you can areate and overseed in NC?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeffd1979, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

What is the latest i can overseed and areate in NC. It has not rained here in 2 weeks and no rain in the future for the next week so i cannot areate now. my water bill is already $150 without watering and would be 200+ if i watered myself to get the lawn soft for areation. Would an areation and overseed in late september still be effective?

2. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Actually most people here don't seed until late september or early october. Late september is probably ideal. The lastest I would seed would be mid-october.

3. Ironmower

Ironmower LawnSite Member

I'd seed before the first frost which will occur about the middle to late October. You have about a 3-4 week window from today to get it done.

4. Jeffd1979

Sweet.. it really sucks.. we have gotten maybe .10 inch in the last 4 weeks here and no rain in site for the next 10 days.. No way i would be able to areate now.

5. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

I just had a sprinkler system installed in July, so I'd been watering daily leading up to the aeration, which I had done last thursday. I seeded and topdressed on friday. Should start seeing some new seedlings in the next day or two. I feel like an expectant father. :)

6. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

I will be aerating and seeding too in the next couple weeks. I am new to the area. What type of seed is best for this area?

7. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

Im in the same boat as you. I have to seed my lawn around the weather when possible. Its not that I worry about a water bill. Its that my yard is too large for watering to be a sensible option.

8. Jeffd1979

Well i areated my front lawn (3000sq feet) put down 80lbs of lime, 80 lbs of gypsom, 30lbs of scotts tall fescue seed, and 15lbs of Scotts starter fertilizer.

Now rain is still going to be a problems as there is none forcasted in the future.. Will i get by watering every other day.. I water each area for 20 min.. I really cannot afford to water anymore.. My water bill this month alone will probably top 250 bucks with all this watering.

9. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

My seedlings have been up for 6 days now and some of them are 3-4" inches tall. I also threw down some more seed last friday and that's just starting to come up. The lawn is starting to look nice again. I've been watering 4 times/day in this heat. I just cut it back to 3 times/day. I'll probably throw some more seed down in about a week or two just to fill in any remaining bare spots.