What is the latest you have planted trees?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by integrityman, Dec 19, 2011.

1. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the latest you have planted trees/ what (USDA) zone do you live in? Any known risks associated with late-late fall planting?

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I have gone right up until January or so for larger hardier trees and shrubs. But, only when needed. Here many cities reguire the foundation planting and grass before issuing the occupency permit on new construction homes. I have one house we'll spray with hydroseed and do the plantings in January so the owners don't have to wait until spring to move in. The problem is most nurseries will not give any type of wearrenty fot plant installed that late. I'll use alot of straw over the root balls and even right up over the top of the smaller plants. Most of the larger hardier stuff will be fine, some of the smaller stuff may need to be replaced but that is figured into my proposal.

I'm in zone 6a-5b

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I've planted right up until it was too dark to see. haha

Basically, you can plant any-time as long as the ground isn't frozen.

4. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Listen to the Doc.
    I would always plant late fall if I had a choice.
    The ideal time is around arbor day. Different areas have a different arbor day based on where you live. If you are purchasing at wholesale you probably dont get a warranty anyhow. Just watch your watering at this time

5. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

The proper time to plant a tree is yesterday.

6. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea- frozen earth is my rule of thumb too. Obsessive as it sounds.... I love planting trees!!!! Just did three 6' Picea abies. They look fantastic!!!