What is the latest?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 4, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I've been done thatching since the first week of April. yesterday I got a call from a new cutomer who wanted thatching/fertilizing. Today i did it, made about $200 for an hour 1/2 work. The guy who lives next door was getting an estimate from another LCO, who was staring at me, then cracked a smile. 1/2 hour later, the nieghbor was talking to my customer telling her that the other LCO said " should have been done in march, this guy doesn't know what he's doing.." I didn't apply cragrass fertilizer, I applied Weed/Feed like every may. I went on to tell that i was done thatching, but since she wanted it, i'm here. Sometimes guys don't want to be bothered once they're done with the clean ups and start the routine service (I don't blame them), but I think it was in this LCO's best interest to say I'm wrong, rather them saying he didn't want to do it.
    Is there a deadline where you shouldn't thatch? This lawn needed it. If i would have left it....... fertilizer would never get to the surface.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Dethatching can cause an opening in the chemical barrier that you put down on app#1 (fert w/crabgrass control). That being said, the high residual product strength at that time, so early in the season and so soon after your pre-emergent application, would not likely cause a bloom of crabgrass. Generally, I advise clients that as long as the dethatching, or aeration, falls in between your apps #1 and #2 (#1=fert/crab; #2=fert/crab/broadleaf) then that is fine. I generally would not advise dethatching/aeration after the final application of crabgrass control.

3. fga

sod,
    The LCO saw that this was my first time there, it had never been cut before. There had never been a fertilizer application. New constuction.
    thanks for the info. so as long as there was no fertilizer down, there's no harm in thatching?

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

If it was a new lawn, did it need de-thatching?

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And did you say you put down "weed and feed"?

6. fga

Jwing,
    It is a new construction house built last year , i think they put the sod down in august. The builders here pay so much attention to the interior, and when it comes to the lawn, they throw it down and get one of thier laborers to ocasionally run it over with a mower. My customer moved in about 2 months ago. The neglected lawn had alot of buildup, I don't think they bagged when they mowed.

Runner,
    each property is 25' wide. The neighbor, who had moved in last year, caring for his own lawn, (until yesterday), had a patches of dandelions, which had sprouted a few on our side. So i started my broadleaf applications for the season.......... is there a problem with that for some reason
    :confused: ?