What is the minimum size trailer width and length for solo lawn mowing?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Boaz, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Just starting out yes, but no financing at all. Buying used equipment to start out and paying cash for all of it. That is why its hard to pick the trailer size as I havent snagged a used mower yet. But its hard to snag a mower without a trailer. I will begin phase replacement of the used equipment halfway through the first season if needed. I am not opposed to buying new equipment but I want to try to get a good deal on a z turn during the off season. At least that is the plan for now....:)

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I run solo and carry two mowers. A 60 and a 34 stander. the 34 is for narrow gates. 60 is for everything else. I run a 6.5x18. Have plenty of room nor both mowers, wheeled blower, walkbehind vac and a push spreader..
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running the same 6.5 x 12 trailer for 11 years now and it works out well for me. I'm solo most of the time but have a trimmer/blower guy in the summer. I save a little room by having a low front rail on my trailer so that the whole back of my mower hangs over the tongue...the rear wheels are against the rail.

4. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Bet everyone here wishes the trailer they bought was 2 feet longer. Look around what people are using and how much they got loaded on it

5. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I have a 7 x 16 enclosed, 48 inch zero turn and two push mowers with lawn vac, walk edger, trimmer rack with two trimmers and a stick edger, nose mounted work bench with two chainsaws, small hand tools, repair tools, etc. Wall mounted rack for handheld blower and back pack blower, gas cans, bunch of other stuff mounted on the walls. I tried to hang as much as possible, but am finding I am in need of a bigger trailer quickly. Don't go six feet wide. Go at least seven. I regret not going eight feet wide. My next trailer purchase is gonna be 8.5 x 22. (Spring time) You have the rig to pull, go bigger than you need on the trailer and you won't regret it like I do. If you are taller make sure you get a trailer that is at least a couple inches taller on the inside than you are!

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Consider rapid tire wear on dual axle trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Man I have been searching for a 7x14 single axle...for some reason when you go from 12' to 14' they all want to stuff another axle under the trailer...!

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Enclosed trailers are always smaller than an open trailer of the same size. I know that doesn't make sense but in practice that's how it seems. You need a little extra room to move around in.

9. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I have all my equipment in a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Me personally I'd like to get atleast a 7x14 just cause I'd like to get a 60" ztr. But I think if have u have just say a 52" ztr with a walkbehind, I'd go with a single axle 6x12.

10. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Yeah I agree with an enclosed trailer use prob around 3-4 inches on both sides. Its b/c on an open trailer the gate is the actual size if the trailer.