What is the minimum you are charging for aeration this year?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by david shumaker, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Stingray63

Stingray63 LawnSite Member

Yes, some of my customers want the plugs raked up too. I tell them that the plugs will go back into the ground. But, some still want' em raked up. I know I'd be saving alot of time if my employees didn't have to go through all the trouble.

Stingray

2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I saw the Lawn Solutions aerator video. The machine looks easy to use. The yard in the video doesn't exist for me. Most of my yards have slopes, trees with roots sticking out, hard spots, etc. I have a Plugr that would be easy to use if all my lawns were flat and easy like the one in the video.

Has anyone on here used the Lawn Solutions aerator? I couldn't find anyone that owns one. I would like to know how they like it.

3. Briley1975

Briley1975 LawnSite Member

after getting drug around my 1/3 ac lot today- i would have gladly paid someone to do it for me. It was about $65 to rent for 4 hours but geez I'm beat

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What do you charge for plug rake up?

I had one customer push me on the plug clean up but he finally agreed to let them stay on the lawn. I did get stuck running around marking sprinklers as he advanced each zone. Lets just say this was my lowest profit margin aeration of 2009 thus far. :hammerhead:

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Man, I charge a $40 minimum, and that's $15 more than most of my competitors! Aeration is worthless out here. If it weren't so important/expected, I wouldn't even bother with it.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im at $100 minimum. If someone told me to rake the plugs , I would tell em Im not interested in aerating for you.

7. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

X2 Same on price and the raking

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I can understand why customers with heavy clay soils want the plugs raked in... clay plugs can take a long time to break up. I've read dragging a piece of cyclone fence around works pretty well for that, but I have sandy loam. The plugs disappear within days.

Mowing prices here are well below the national average with all the day workers, illegal companies and low ballers, so my price for aeration is 3X's mowing. If that is $75 for 3 to 4k of turf, overseeding is another $40-50 on top.

I will, WILL one way or another get a Lawn Solutions aerator this year, either rental or buy. I an DONE with Ryans and the rest.

As for the poster who said that the lawns in the Turf Solutions video did not resemble his lawns.... I saw that video.... the guy is on a slope using ONE hand! Do you aerate roller coasters, or what?

9. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

The video I watched for the Lawn Solutions AERATOR shows one of those flat easy yards. This video is not on their website. The link to the aerator video is on one of the posts. I think the video you saw is for the Lawn Solutions REVITALIZER. There are slopes and the machine looks easy to use, but it's a seeder, not an aerator. Maybe there is another video I haven't seen that shows the aerator on slopes.

I'm thinking about getting one too. It does look easy to use. I have a Plugr now. The Plugr is not real tough on me on flat lawns and pulls good plugs in good conditions. I have the 800 model and the hardest part is pushing it up on the trailer. The Plugr video makes it look easy, but they use easy turf in the video.

10. mainstreet1984

mainstreet1984 LawnSite Member

well, I can tell for sure, 1/4 acre I did for $200 then another customer around $150 but she ordered seeding and fert, so I lowered the price for aeration. I got my aerator from crags list for $25 bucks :dancing:clean it painted fixed some things:hammerhead: and it earned me around a $1000 so far.:usflag: