What is the most efficient way to trim a property?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, May 22, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

First, after mowing? Around the edges first, or hit all the tree's and lawn ornaments then finish on the edges?

I like to hit the edges first, then finish on the tree's and things in the middle of the lawn. I guess if you want to get picky, I walk in a counter clock-wise motion.
    I also fill the tank up, and take an extra length of line with, just in case.

My biggest pet pev is the guy on the trimmer is always working in the same area I'm trying to mow. Can't they see the big yellow mower?

I heard this was a good question to ask.;)
  2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I work on my own so people getting in the way isnt a problem but I always do the edges first. I find that doing it this way, all the waste is cleaned up when I mow.

Anti clockwise on boundry fences and clockwise on houses. This way, the waste gets thrown out away from the fence or house and is cleaned up when mowed. It really depends on the layout of the property. Doing a driveway or path edge I go left to right unless its a long edge, say a corner block. Then I just stick it out (the trimmer)and walk forward on the road.
    I only use a line trimmer so doing around trees etc isnt a hastle and I dont have to go back to the truck for another machine.
    Clear as mud :dizzy: hey!
    Its just the way its usually done around here.
    Thats all.
  3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

This has been debated on here numerous times already. I think it basically boils down to 2 issues. Do you want to be as fast as possible or is neatness top priority? You will always take longer by trimming first because you will either trim too far or not far enough. But as far as neatness goes it is almost always going to look better trimming first so you can chop up the waste.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Efficiency with trimming is doing the job so you don't end up having to walk all over the lawn numerous times. Look at what is before you before you start. Make mental notes of everything. You want to start with the outside perimeter, but as your moving along what is there close to you to trim? Is there a tree there? A little island? Do it then ocntinue on around the perimeter. Unproductive walking is just that...unproductive and wastes time.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I start where my truck is parked, edging first. Then I hit the obstacles. I look at the property before I trim and make a visual pattern so I can start at my truck, trim/edge and finish up back at my truck. I do my trimming first, usually. I know how far out to trim, and how close my mower can get to obastacles and such. When I mow after I trim, the mower gets the clippings from the trimmer. If the hardscapes are full of debris such as leaves or twigs, I blow after I trim, then mow. Leaves a detailed, manicured lawn,always.
  6. zfrog

zfrog Banned

what 65 hoss said
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I let my boss run aroung the whole perimiter with the z and i follow him with the weedeater. I just follow the entire perimiter pass around the whole property line. When Im dont I jump inside and do around the house then hit the trees/obstacles in the yard last.

Also, we usually run 2 guys, we do opposite ends so we can catch eachother mistakes.

Works Well:cool: :cool: :cool:
  8. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We use curved shaft-so-its clockwise-trim first-turn trimmer upside down to edge all beds-hit obstacles-Harry
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I trim building counter clockwise fences clockwise as the trimmer line doesn't catch in chain link as easy that way. I catch all free standing items when they are in each section so I only cover the property once. I mow first. I always end where I started so that I waste fewer steps.

If you are doing a large property with many buildings then have one person start at one end at the back and do all backs and sides of buildings along with free standing in those areas. Place the other person at the other end doing fronts and sides and free standing. When they meet then all they have to do is backs or fronts and free standing and they can really haul ***** then. Really saves time.
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer to trim after mowing so, I can see what i missed.