what is the most important thing a homeowner can do

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Nov 15, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Great info. Glad to see some agreement on this subject.

Any successfull tips on conveying the importance of proper mowing?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I stress that everything is important, it all works together and is a cumulative process. That being said the hardest thing to get them to do right is water properly. Most of my lawns have sprinkler systems since in my area it is very difficult to have a quality lawn without it. I write up a guide to watering but most ignore it or simply cannot "get it". I control the watering on lawns that I do everything on.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

2013 will be my first year being licensed for Aps. Fert here in Idaho doesn’t require a license.

I really don’t want clients unless they mow their cool season grass higher, water correctly and are onboard with proper turf management.

Is it possible to dictate to clients YOUR WAY or the highway. If application clients insist on low mowing and poor maintenance practices such as daily over watering at the wrong times of day I really don’t want them as clients.

This could be a marketing disaster beyond accounts I already mow for....? I really don’t want my application tag on lawns that are scalp mowed and the sprinklers come on 3 times a day plus daily in the afternoon and evening. :nono:

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I tell them up front verbally and in writing if my suggestions are not followed then success may not happen. Write up a suggestion/instruction list and send it with the 1st bill. That way when things don't work out then at least you can say "I told you so" in a professional manner of course. At the end of the instructions I leave them with this quote, "If you repeat the same things over and expect different results then that would be the definition of _____. You can fill in the blank.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Application and customer Education need to happen simultaneously.

IMO, the most important thing a customer can do is follow our instructions whether it is verbal or written.

When that happens, we create an awesome lawn together.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If a person takes a full program
    Mows their lawn correctly
    Waters correctly or don't water at all (because its better not to water then water wrong)
    Overseed in thin areas
    Treat shades areas differnt then full sun areas

Then other then weather their lawn will be perfect (if weather cooperates)

Lawncare with cool season grasses is very simple IMO. Weed control and fertilization throughout the season is very important but water is the most crucial piece of the puzzle...period!!!!

7. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think your last statement says it all water, not knowing your areas I can not compare but bottom line moisture wise we honestly have not had a decent steady amount since 2009. I tell my customers this and they look at me like, what. I think since 2009 it's either fest or famine too much, not enough, too much one month nothing the next just saying been weird last couple of years. I would take another 2009 anytime at least around here.

8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Water water water

9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Good stuff.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Sean.

Every great lawn takes teamwork