1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the most leafs/pinestraw you have removed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Dec 18, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We just finished a clean up today that was unreal. Six of us hit this yard at 7:00 AM this morning and just finished at 6:45 PM. We ran two trucks from this house to our yard with leafs and pine straw to dump it. One truck has a 14' foot bed and the other is a 18' bed. All total we dumped 5 of the 14' loads and 4 of the 18' load. All from a 1.83 acre lot. I joked with the owner that he should call a lumber man and sell off all of the old growth pines. In some places it was over a foot deep. The plus side of this is that we now have several tons of good long leaf pine straw to re-sell.

Oh yea, the six of use were the ground grew. There was also a driver in each truck. 8 people total.

So, what is the most you have pulled out of a yard?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Just curious what that job was priced at. My guess- $2400.00 +-.

3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

And I thought I had alot of leaves here.....That had to be nearly a $2500 job at least

4. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

more like $4,000----8 guys at 11.75 hrs=94 hrs

5. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

How do you have that much pinestraw stored? inside? covered?

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I was thinking 8 guys at $30.00 an hour=$240.00 x 10hrs=$2400.00+-. From the post, I gathered that they were at the site for 11.75 hrs- lunch etc. The $30.00 a man hour is a figure that is arbitrary as well. Assuming you are correct, the most I could get for that job would be $2820.00 How much were you figuring per man-hour? $43.00?

7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

I would think in the 2-2.5k range too. 4k would be a tough sell.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm... I was looking at more like 6K with drive time / 9 dump trips......

9. naturescaretaker

Right now dumped in the corner of the yard.

10. naturescaretaker

Close. Labor was $4230 and disposal charges were $450. This place was only 2.3 miles from our shop.

Besides the pine straw we also removed a lot of dead tree limbs. We don't have a chipper so they were tossed off to the side for the last truck load. We have probably twenty 55 gallon drum liners full of pine cones that we are giving to a local church group that works with challenged kids and adults for arts and craft stuff.