1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the name of this weed?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Joey'sVee, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Joey'sVee

Joey'sVee LawnSite Member

The pic quality is bad because I took it with my phone but maybe you can help. It has little seeds on it. Just wanting to know what kind of weed this is and how to kill it? Is it a summer or winter weed?

Thanks! :)

2. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

It looks like annual bluegrass, or "poa", a winter weed. Can't really tell from the "picture."

Image will kill it, but it will stunt the growth of the base turf considerably. Princep takes it out if you use it with your pre-emergent mix prior to green-up.

But really, my advice would be to wait for the heat to kill it and would advise you to have a fall pre emergent put down to prevent it germinating in the future. Think long term, other than mowing there is very little instant gratification involved in lawn care.

Pre emerge once in the fall and once in the spring. There is no real substitute. Preventing the weeds from coming up is always a better scenario than trying to kill it after the fact.

Hope that helps and good luck.
  3. Joey'sVee

Joey'sVee LawnSite Member

After more research it's 100% Poa annua. I don't think I'll use a post emergent. I guess it will die off soon then I can use a pre M in the fall so I guess nothing to do now. I'm learning a lot here! Thanks!
  4. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like Annua Poa to me. Another good tip would be during the months this weed is present, you should bag your clipping to prevent seeds from being spread to other parts of your yard. Also wash off the bottom of your mower deck after each mowing and of course spray off your mower bag. I too am fighting this weed and so far it is getting the best of me :( It will take time to completely rid your yard of it, but hang in there......Good Luck.....