What is the Official Mower of Mackinac Island?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Aug 25, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Had the opportunity to go to Mackinac Island over a short vacation. I'll tell ya one thing, the people there are too freakin rich for my blood. Some snobby S.O.B.'s too, if you aren't a guest at the Grand Hotel you have to pay $10.00 a head to go in and look. WHat a bunch of krap. It would have cost us 50 bucks to look. Anyway this island is known for not having any motor vehicles. The only thing that has a motor for street use is the fire engine and ambulance along with the horse sh1T sweeper. Other than that its horse and buggies, bikes and walking.
    I was quite amused to see this worker on the un"official" mower of Mackinac Island. In the land of rich snobs its the SNAPPER that wins.

vacation03 439.jpg

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it's a nice island, wouldn't want to live there though. TOO many rich people there.

Right now there are some freaks that are fighting for rights to have vechiles on the island. What a bunch of BS. What makes the island special is the fact that they don't allow vechiles.

3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Is the guy on the snapper from a lawn care company?
    How do they get from job to job with no Vechiles?
    Trailer on the back of the snapper?:)

4. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Nah, on that island its probably a horse pulling the trailer.:D
    I'm not positive but, I would guess the people that do lawn care would be seasonal help from Mackinaw city?

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats where we got married, been up there once this year already around June 22nd for my daughters wedding. Will be there this coming Saturday for our anniversary. I was wondering also about the mowing conditions up there. I tried to post a pic off a cd from our wedding on the (nekked post) of our wedding, but said file too big, oh well I tried.

6. Bill 2

Bill 2 LawnSite Member

$10.00 to have a look? That's the way it should be IMHO. Why should everyone and their brother be permitted to enter "just to look" ? People who stay there pay big bucks (more than I can afford) and should not have to put up with large crowds of lookers.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

All the workers up there are seasonal help. Mostly college kids, so i'm pretty sure it wasn't an LCO. I looked into working there a long time ago. Don't think i could handle the smell.

Shouldn't that kid be using a push reel mower?

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

we went on a carriage ride last june, the driver was a young kid from vermont. lot of help is just for the summer and come from all parts of the world.