What is the over/under for cancellations here?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 30, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We are leaving this note on our client's doors this week:

Dear client,

In an effort to avoid price increases and make working conditions more tolerable for our workers, we find it necessary to change some of our client’s regular mow days.

Because our routes are so inefficient, our crews are working 12 & 13 hour days in this heat.

For example, in one residential sub-division, we might have 7 clients, but our crew is driving into that sub-division to mow lawns on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. It makes more sense to schedule all of those clients on the same day of the week.

Going forward, your new scheduled mow day is _____________________.

We hope that you are ok with this change. If it is going to cause a major problem for you, please call the office.

We have 399 clients. We just lost the first client, a guy who was moved from Wednesday to Monday.

How many more will cancel over this?

Here are the numbers:

13 bi-weekly clients moved from Wed to Mon
    10 weely clients moved from Wed to Mon
    11 weekly clients moved from Thur to Mon
    12 bi-weekly clients moved from Thur to Mon
    9 weekly clients moved from Fri to Mon
    8 bi-weekly clients moved from Fri to Mon
    6 weekly clients moved from Fri to Tue
    16 bi-weekly clients moved from Fri to Tue
    12 weekly clients moved from Thur to Tue
    7 bi-weekly clients moved from Thur to Tue
    16 weekly clients moved from Fri to Wed
    2 bi-weekly clients moved from Fri to Wed

A total of 122 clients will be asked to accept a mow day that is at least 2 days earlier in the week.

How many of those 122 will cancel over this? We have already lost one and it is only lunch time on Wednesday. We are leaving the note on the door this week as we mow the lawn, so only the Tuesdays and Mondays and some of the Wednesdays know about the change. The vast majority haven't been told their mow day is changing yet.

Any guesses as to how many we lose over this? I am guessing 60.

It's kind of strange. If a new client calls, most never even ask about Thursday or Friday service. If we schedule them for Monday or Tuesday, they rarely call to complain. However, if they have Th/Fr service and you try to move them to Mo/Tu, I think it is a death sentence.

Am I over-reacting or am I about to lose 25% of my clients?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well.........If they really need to keep there mowing day they can pay for it. We have 6 customers that knowingly pay more to get there service on Friday.

3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

How much more do you charge for a typical $25/cut client?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the letter is well written. i'd be willing to bet you won't lose many customers over it and if it comes down to it, just tell them you will have to add a fuel surcharge ($10 or whatever suits you best) to make up for the fuel used to schedule them on a route where they are out of the way. if they still are not agreeable to it, you have done your best to save them and you can part ways with a clear conscience.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I don't think you are over-reacting or will lose 25% of your client base. But, you may seem like you are over-reacting from your employees point of view when you start jumping for joy on how this will impact your bottom line and scream "yes, why didn't I do this years ago???"

Just for your information, no one (did I say no one?) tells me what day I will be there on their property. That is my decision and my decison alone. If someone has a problem with that, well then get someone else. Customers keep me in my business but they don't run it. period

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just one question..........
    How did you end up in the same neighborhood on so many different days?
    Sorry, but if someone in a certain neighborhood wants service they're going to get it the day we happen to be there or find someone else.
    "this is the day we're here sir"

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

patients running the aslyum dave, that's how :nono:

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

LMAO!:clapping:

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Dear Valued Client,

With gasoline and other costs rising as fast as they are, we have been finding it more and more difficult to remain profitable and continue to absorb these costs.

I have spent a lot of time to find a solution and originally it appeared that a price increase would be inevitable.

With everyones budgets getting stretched farther and farther, I wanted to find an alternative to a significant price increase.

In an attempt to find any possible alternative to raising prices, I spent some time studying the routing of our lawn crews. What I found were many areas where I can increase our efficiency by consolidating routes, while offering the same level of service, and best of all NOT RAISE RATES.

We're leaving you this note to let you know that your mowing day will be changed to ________________.

With this new day, we will still perform the same dependable service that you have come to expect.

I would like to personally thank you for your business. If there is anything about your service that you would like to discuss please feel free to call our office.

Thank You Again

Sincerely

10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Says the same thing but in a much better way. Feel free to copy and paste.