1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the point

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, May 17, 2014.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Not to rehash the thread that that was deleted but the pictures of the yard got me thinking, not the system but the yard it was installed in.

Do many of you install systems in such small areas like the 6' area between the house and 8' stockade fence? It seems like an area that would never be used for anything. Even having green grass there wouldn't make it look very good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few where they refuse to remove any trees . Areas havnt seen sunshine since before slick willy had fun with the fat few chic. Chance are actualy growing grass there is slim to none. Always question if I should even do repairs in those areas.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Turf in those areas is stupid IMO.

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

It's typical here. They out houses so close together you can open the window and toss sugar from one to another
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
    Makes matters worse when the installer builds a zone with that tight, narrow, shaded section that also extends out to a larger open area. Thus over watering the narrow section because of more water needed in the open section.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There is always a tendency to cover the lawn from property corner to property corner, no matter how useless some of that watering is.

7. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It's pointless for the grass, especially since most home builders install Bermuda... It's DOA. We do it to keep the soil moisture content stable around the house so the foundation doesn't crack. If they don't want sprays we run drip tubing along the side of the house.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

So in Texas if you don't have irrigation your foundation will crack?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. anybody ever see san Francisco?

Happens and is done all the time.

Now I will speak as a lawn pro.....grass can be grown in filtered sun light, controlled watering, proper cutting height and low traffic. Oh did I mentioned PROPER CUTTING HIEIGHT.

Its done all the time in San Fran and the peninsula. And to top it off, its done in clay soils.

So it can be done if the conditions present itself.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

They have expansive soils and the wet/dry change is similar to frost heave.
    Posted via Mobile Device