What is the proper order?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KenH, Sep 28, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

New construction, what should be the proper order of completion:

Lawn, irrigation, beds, hardscapes (patio/walks/drive), fencing, outdoor electrical. This is is no particular order.

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Hardscape, beds, irrigation, then lawn. Fencing depends on how it effects access or how planting effects access to put up the fence, usually it is toward the end.
    Outdoor electric depends on exactly what it is. If it is line voltage to out buildings, pool equipment, and the like, it is done early on. Low voltage lighting is done toward the end after the subject matter to bit lit up is done.
    Any of this can vary depending on the project, but that is the normal flow of things. The whole thing revolves around access, what might wreck work that is already completed, and safety.

3. KenH

from CT

See, I was thinking rough beds (no plants), irrigation, hardscapes/electrical, plant beds, then lawn. This way there is no worry about running irrigation under walks, etc. I asked this because any new construction I do there is always a question by other contractors what should be done first.

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I like to go in and first set the subgrade on the entire project. Then we will install in the order of :
    drainage
    hardscape
    rough in beds
    electrical
    irrigation
    final bed prep/installation - with a working irrigation system
    top soil
    final grade
    seed or sod
    collect money

5. KenH

from CT

What do you do about irrigation and such under walkways/driveway???? Pre pipe it??? Or PVC it???

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You put conduit, poly piping, or even 4" PVC under the hardscape when you build it. Mark the ends with stakes or put them in places that are already identifiable, such as in front of steps,...
    Put in extra just in case.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

AGLA hit the nail right on the head. If you install irrigation before any hardscapes (requiring machine work) more than likely it will get damaged. Hardscapes always first. :cool:

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

It all depends on access but normally :
    Hardscapes putting in any conduits for irrigation or lighting
    softscapes- large caliper trees first
    irrigation
    sod and mulch

A good site Foreman is always thinking about access and many times you have to do things out of that order ..hardscape....get some soil in or a large tree ... more hardscape etc ...working your way out of the site.

9. Stickman11

Stickman11 LawnSite Member

I'm kind of shocked that this question was even asked (especially from a senior member). Can you not tell by the list what goes in what order?? I thought this site was for professionals, not joe homeowner wanna-be landscapers.
    I worked from 6:30a -7:30p installing trees and shrubs. Come home and kiss my wife, pet my dogs, and read stories to my 2 children before bed time. I log on to try and help out our trade and even learn new things and I find questions like this.

I'm going to bed!!!!

Put the sod in first!!!!!!!!!!!

GM.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

You get lots here that have only done maintenance work and may be new to construction ...nothing wrong with asking. What I may take for granted after doing Landscape construction all my life may be "french" to a guy just starting out. Like I said ...always have to be thinking on a construction site ..especially poor access ones.