What is the proper way to install stone borders for beds?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lance L, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

i have a few people interested in natural stone borders and also with windsor blocks, was wanting to learn the proper way to do this. and what is usually charged, i have been told $7/linear ft for both, from a friend, but wanted to check with the pros, as he helped me bid some work a few years back when i was still pretty new and he was off.

thanks for the info!! if you need more specifics just ask. =)
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

For an edging product, you can get away with compacting the soil without a sub base, but if you are moving into blocks like the Windsor block, I would suggest using retaining wall construction techniques.

As for pricing: What does the block cost you? How much do you want to make an hour? How fast can you stage, prep, and lay the block?

What I mean by that is: Do you own a Dingo? Do you have a truck big enough for delivery?

Equipment means the difference in 30 hours of work compared to 60-70. I don't know what to tell you on that one...
  3. Lance L

the block, i have not priced yet because i want to know if we can do it first, i know what i want to make a hour but i dont know how long this takes to install, if i knew the answers to those 3 i would not be asking this question in the first place. seeing that im asking the proper way to do this i do not know what needs to be done to stage, prep and lay the block.

no i dont own a dingo, yes i do have a truck big enough for the jobs we are looking at, bigger one is roughly 200 ft of the rectangular natural stone(i dont know any of the terminology for stone but it looks the same as the stone used for flagstone patios so i guess flagstone blocks?) possibly 2 rows, i have seen them just stacked and not mortered and i have seen them mortered, do you use the same as bricklayers? do i need like a concrete base? how far apart should they be? anythings to absolutely not do????

and where do i find the rretaining wall construction techniques? these are only 2 maybe 3 stone high projects.

a idea on how long this takes would help with pricing, im aware of costs, and how to bid, but im not going to do to hot on bidding the time of something i have never done before.
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

So basically you have a truck and everything else is questionable. Maybe you should stick to something you know?

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I am wanting to start doing hardscapes as well, but I can tell you for sure that my first one is not going to be on a paying clients house. That sounds like a pretty good recipe for ruining your name.

Why not do a small job at your house or tell a family member that if they by materials, you'll install for free?

If you really want some info. on retaining wall installs, check out allanblock.com.
  6. Lance L

not really, im fine with doing it, but have heard different methods....

why is it so hard to get any answers from people on this site? the forum is to help people isnt it? seems most are to lazy to actually reply to a question... if im going to mess something up then its going to get messed up, let me worry about that, if its a disaster which i find hard to pull off on a stone border, then i will pay someone to come in and fix it.

stick to something i know? everyone needs to start somewhere, i would think that a border for a bed is the simplest place to start dont you? im just looking for someone to mention the proper techniques to keep from having to go back and redo this, and an idea of how long this type of job will take.

not tryin to be a a$$ but dam*, if you arent posting to help with the questions asked dont post, the job is going to be done, just looking to do it the rite way the first time around.
  7. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

With questions you're asking, I'd suggest that you gain some experience working with a pro installer before you attempt this kind of work. Most people out there think what we do is easy until they attempt it themselves.
  8. Lance L

dont have time to work with a pro installer, and from the work i have seen around here 90% of them ARE NOT PROS, they are hispanic that just slap them together, tryin to do things rite here and no one wants to help out. lol
  9. Lance L

and i never said it was easy, but youve got to start somewhere rite? and i cant run this maint business, and go work with another installer to learn, planning on going to some of the trade shows this year but they are ready to do this soon, not after i go to a show to learn....

zedo nice work btw love the site.
  10. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

We all would love to help. Go to any hardscape manufacturer site and you can get the proper techniques. Or even go get ICPI certified, but with out any experience none of that will help you.
    Just trying to help you out of a potential nightmare.
    The problem with landscape "poser" companies is that they bring down the whole industry. They drive down prices and quality, which hurts the legit quality companies who want to earn a profit. I guess we need to get this industry certified as a legit trade. Weed out the "fly by nighters".
    Lance, not trying to discourage you. Just trying to help. If you do decide to go ahead with the jobs I wish you nothing but success.