1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is the purpose of bagging...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Jul 19, 2004.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

i cannot figure out why companies out there are bagging grass. i can see it for the homeowner who cuts there lawn every two weeks, but a company who is maintaining lawns on a weekly basis, no way.....

please don't try and tell me that it looks more manicured and neat. oh well, it's good for the guys who mulch and side discharge because every year around this time the lawns that are bagged start to turn brown.. which means more calls for me next spring..:D :D
  2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

never mind i see your from canada!
  3. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

norm al,,,

and your point??????

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I do a flip-flop, April/May I bag probably 90% of 'em. Have to, or else quadruple cut them. Summertime I bag maybe 5%, and those are for the anal few customers whose whole will come to a crashing halt if they are not bagged.
  5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Toooo please the customer.
  6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

scott what do you think the rate of turf growth is between a florida st augustine lawn and a canadian lawn?

if you have ever mowed a lawn in florida or texas of st augustine many times it is easier to bag than it is to clean up!

\\i was also just bustin your balls in the previous post!:)
  7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Same here, growth is sooo fast in the spring you have to bag, with all the rain we've been getting lately mulching just doesn't work.
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Because some of my higher paying customers require it. And yes the ones that are bagged DO look better than the ones that are not. It is a PITA to do it but as long as they are paying what I charge they get what they want.
  9. i have no problem with bagging ..if the cilent wants to pay the price....i can side discharge it and you cant tell it hadnt been bagged ....but some people like paying extra to be able to say ...my lawn is bagged
  10. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We only bag when we absolutely have to or the customer asks for it to be bagged and gets charged accordingly. I will always mulch whenever possible because mulcing is much better for the lawn as stated before but then again depending on the zone that you are in and the type of grass you are mowing, if the lawn is looking crappy then we bag, no questions asked.