What is the purpose of walk behind mowers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by goat hearder, Mar 31, 2004.

1. goat hearder

goat hearder LawnSite Member

i cant think of a reason that someone would use a walk behind rather than a riding mower . why the *&^% would you want to stand up all day ?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Walkbehinds hold steep hill, that a ZTR could not even attempt. They are better for small yards and gated yards. They also cost less, and are easier and cheaper to fix if there is a problem.

Lovell's Lawn Care
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ditches as well. Not to mention a cost feasibility issue, there.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've got plenty of lawns that a rider mower wouldn't fit on, inside gates and around yard obstacles. I've never had a rider and I do fine with my wbs. Besides, it's better exercise than sitting on your butt all day.
  5. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

maybe you dont do yards that reguire one. If you are starting and want to get going without a 2nd morgage then this may be the ticket. Got about 8 years being dragged around behind one on yards that a ztr would not easily work on.
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Nothing holds a hill better than my Scag 48.
  7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

To get excercise!:eek:
  8. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

I have a snapper 52" w/b w/ 23hp Kohler. . . the thing is great. I've got a sulky and fly on the thing!

Walk-behinds are much easier to manuever. If there is something hidden on the ground in front and I don't see it till the last second, I just put weight on the handles and lift the deck up. The ditches are easy, and I mow real steep. Saves a ton of time.

They also make sulky's that you can sit on!
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I mow some cemetarys and I think standing allows me to cut closer and see better than sitting would allow
  10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what Adam said. You've always gotta have a wb.