What is the right Diesel Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ford's Lawncare, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Ford's Lawncare

Ford's Lawncare LawnSite Member

hello,
    I have been in the landscaping buisness for a number of years now. I have always used 3/4 and 1/2 ton chevrolet gas job trucks. I am finally upgrading and am looking into buying a diesel. What would you guys recommend for a 1 ton dump body that will primarily be used for landscaping and firewood, as well as snowplowing. From my research, I am looking at the Dodge and Chevrolet diesels. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dan Ford
    Ford's Lawncare

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddy bought a Chevy Duramax 3500 dump and it is the biggest piece of crap. He has replaced everything but the frame. He now wishes he bought the Ford. There is a pic of a Ford dump in the picture forum under "NEW TRUCK" maybe pm him and ask him about the truck. It looks really nice..

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

its hard to beat a ford with a dump. probly the best work truck out there. especially if it a 450. that or a cummins.

4. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I might be selling my 07 gmc diesel dump soon if you are interested.

5. Ford's Lawncare

Ford's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I would be interested, however I would like to keep it under 20 thousand. I might end up having to get a gas job if nothing comes up

6. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

I have a F350 diesel... ditched my 1500 ram never looked back! While dodge and GMC have good diesels (currently) out there I think for a work truck the Ford best suits my needs. I may be picking up a Ford dump diesel as an additional truck shortly. Good luck.

If its a GMC get a duramax not the older 6.5 diesels...
    Dodge 12 valve or 12 valve's wont be a problem
    Ford, personally Id go 7.3 for reliability reasons but im not going to get into any thing here thats just my opinion.

Figure up your needs but ive towed with gassers and diesel truck and im not going back.

7. snoope

snoope LawnSite Member

Fordslawncare,

Try Whited Ford in Bangor.....

1) '03 Gmc 3500 diesel auto $19980

2)'01 Ford 450 7.3 diesel auto plow $20980

Good luck...

Snoope

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

To start with you don't want a 1 ton dump they don't carry enough weight you need a minimum F450 1.5 ton truck. Now second problem a 4x4 is hard to find you will only find a F-450 F-550 in a 4x4 from 99 and up. A 97 and older F450 only comes in 2wd.

You can look at Chevy 3500HD which has 19.5 wheels its a 1.5 ton truck only comes in 2wd.

As for a 20,000 dollar price limit that isn't going to buy much it will be a worn out piece of junk.

9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I think, not 100% sure, but i think out city fire department has like an 88-89 FSuperduty (450) that is a 4x4, but i could be wrong. There are deals under 20K, and then there are DEALS. I was about 4 hours too slow in pulling the trigger on a truck at my local ford dealership, it was a 97 F350 4x4 auto, had the 460 instead of a powerstroke, but it came with a 10' dump box, 7.5 or 8 ft meyer poly plow, 8' monroe salt spreader, all in MINT condition, spreader and bed both looked like new. 49K original miles, sold for $12500. Not all the trucks for under $20K are wore out. I bought my 89 FSuperduty 7.3 diesel auto with a 12' dump for close to $4500, it's not the fastest truck on the road, but it's rust free, the dump dumps, and it has paid for itself probably 2-3 times over this year.

10. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

The New duramaxs are quiet and have a ton of power. The older ford 7.3 powerstrokes were awsome. I don't know to much about cummins accept they are loud!