What is the smallest gate you've gotten a 36" walk behind through?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Whitestone Properties, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Whitestone Properties

Whitestone Properties LawnSite Member

I'm considering one of two purchases. Don't need opinions on the mowers but could use information on access through gates.

MOWER OPTIONS I'M CONSIDERING:

1. 36" Wright Stander RH
    2. Better Outdoor Products Quick 36 Dually

What is the smallest gate you've gotten mowers of this size through?

Is there a technique to get a mower that's larger than the gate through the gate? I've been told it's possible.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

We had one that might have measured 37" (if that)...had to take the gate off it was so small.
    Mike

3. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I was considering designing some sort of ramp to basically drive up to where the mower is kinda on 2 wheels
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jaybow

from Mi

But I just bought a 32 Metro instead
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that may make the mower wider under a certain angle (about 45 degrees?) as the bottom of one side would stick out as would the top of the other side. I have an account that I need 1/4 inch more to make it - frustrating.

6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Belt sander.

7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

@Whitestone - I think Jawbone has the right answer, the best 36 for getting through a 36 inch gate is a 32".
    My blades actually measure 17 7/8 they fit snuggly under my deck which provides for a cutting path of 36". So get yourself a 32", or a speed wrench to take the wheels off before going through the gate.

8. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

I have gotten both a 36 and a 48 through a 24in gate. Gate opening had a concrete sidewalk. Both mowers were walkbehinds. I made a dolly that I tipped the mower on the side on the dolly and rolled mower through the gate and set the mower back down on the ground. Customer never did put a bigger gate for the back yard which was almost 1/2acre. Believe it or not the 48 was easier to tip on its side than the 36.

9. jaybow

from Mi

Got any pics of the dolly?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, digital cameras weren't invented yet. It was about 20 years ago. It was a 2x12 about 30 in long with 4 caster wheels. I think there were 3in wheels. On the 48 just the deck road on the dolly. On the 36 the deck and rear wheel road on the dolly. Both mowers were Exmarks. They are now considered the viking belt drive models.