1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the success of door hangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ranger520, Jul 22, 2002.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what the success of using door hangers for advertising. Any help on this would be great.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

A safe estimate is about a 1% response. Certainly you can get lucky and it may be higher, but could certainly also be lower.

I had read it in a book a couple years ago and have found it to be fairly accurate in my own personal (limited) experience.
  3. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

do you go through a local printer or buy the hangers online?
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I didn't actually use "door hangers", I used flyers. First year they were placed on mailboxes, this year they were placed in plastic bags and hung on door knobs.

You can get more info about door hangers though using the search. I know there has been discussion about local printers and online suppliers.

Good luck.
  5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Would you mind emailing me a copy of your flyer to jonbetsy@daily-journal.com????

What should I avoid putting on the flyer????
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've heard anything from they don't work well at all to they work great, so it's hard to say. I use local papers and get all the business I need, so I've never used them much. Some drawbacks of hangers that come to mind are:

I would think the labor involved in putting them out would be a huge expense. (even if you do it yourself it's time you could be working for pay) It takes a long time to put out hundreds or thousands of door hangers to get a 1% response.

A lot of places may have rules against soliciting door to door, which is what you're doing, I suppose. It's also illegal to hang them on mailboxes, from what I hear. I know putting them inside boxes is definitely a no-no. A lot of homeowners may object to someone walking on their property to sell them something, too.

I think door hangers may give off an unprofessional vibe, compared to a post card or brouchure that is mailed or a print ad. It depends on how well done yours is, I suppose.
  7. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

1% reponse rate and half of that in secured business
  8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Well my experience is limited to this past spring. I had hangers professionaly designed and printed. Distributed about 1 thousand and recieved 3 calls. No contracts, one one time mowing.

In the past i have distributed a rolled flyer (8.5x11) and hung that on door with rubberband. I recieved between a two to three percent sales and 4-5% call as return on that method. These two methods were targeted in similar neighborhoods under the all the same conditions.

- It may just be coincidence, but i do know that the hangers cost me $350 compared to the $25 in paper and ink for flyers.

- Both methods were hand delivered at a cost of about $200.