1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the typical amount of cuts in Indy or midwest?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 8, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what the avg amount of cuts per month I should figure on in Indianapolis.

Would it be like this?:

April 2-cuts?
    May 3-cuts?
    June 4-cuts?
    July 4-cuts?
    Aug. 3-cuts?
    Sept 2-cuts?
    Oct 1-cut?

Just curious as to what I should expect and do most of u guys cut once a week for residentials?

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I cut once a week. Most of my clients have irriagation systems, so the grass grows even in the middle of August. This gives a total of 24+ cuts in a season. I'll start maybe end of April begining of May depending on weather and cut until the first or second week of November.
  3. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

I mowed each yard 28 times last year. Although through the spring months it should have been every 5 days on several with irragation systems. Props in the city will only need cut weekly and in the hot months probably every 10 days.
  4. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Greenpa - What equipment are you using? Are you looking for a trailer or mower? Ive got an 6x10 enclosed trailer and a Exmark Lazer Z HP with only 390 hrs on it. Trailer Im asking 2000$ for and 4900$ for the mower. Of course OBO on both. I need an open trailer and a bigger enclosed.
  5. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Once week here in Wisconsin. Came out to 26 cuts last year.
  6. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new black 6x12 open tandem trailer with 4' side walls, front lock box cage, drop-down back gate, and brakes. I think I got a great deal on this new trailer for $1700. No advertising plug, just happy with my deal.
  7. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Id buy that on the spot right now if i could find it! I need an open trailer for cleanups and mulch.
  8. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Wish I could get started big like that, but I'm just starting with the bare min.;
    21 in, blower, trimmer, and other clean up tools. Thanks for the offer though.