1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the typical amount of cuts in Indy or midwest?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 8, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what the avg amount of cuts per month I should figure on in Indianapolis.

Would it be like this?:

April 2-cuts?
    May 3-cuts?
    June 4-cuts?
    July 4-cuts?
    Aug. 3-cuts?
    Sept 2-cuts?
    Oct 1-cut?

Just curious as to what I should expect and do most of u guys cut once a week for residentials?

2. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I cut once a week. Most of my clients have irriagation systems, so the grass grows even in the middle of August. This gives a total of 24+ cuts in a season. I'll start maybe end of April begining of May depending on weather and cut until the first or second week of November.

3. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

I mowed each yard 28 times last year. Although through the spring months it should have been every 5 days on several with irragation systems. Props in the city will only need cut weekly and in the hot months probably every 10 days.

4. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Greenpa - What equipment are you using? Are you looking for a trailer or mower? Ive got an 6x10 enclosed trailer and a Exmark Lazer Z HP with only 390 hrs on it. Trailer Im asking 2000$ for and 4900$ for the mower. Of course OBO on both. I need an open trailer and a bigger enclosed.

5. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Once week here in Wisconsin. Came out to 26 cuts last year.

6. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new black 6x12 open tandem trailer with 4' side walls, front lock box cage, drop-down back gate, and brakes. I think I got a great deal on this new trailer for $1700. No advertising plug, just happy with my deal.

7. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Id buy that on the spot right now if i could find it! I need an open trailer for cleanups and mulch.

8. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Wish I could get started big like that, but I'm just starting with the bare min.;
    21 in, blower, trimmer, and other clean up tools. Thanks for the offer though.