What is the very best walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Mow-It-All, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

The very best, money doesn't matter in a 36 to 48" walkbehind, floating deck, dual hydro.

Best cut?
    Best ergonomics?
    Easiest to use?

And what ever you think makes the walkbehinds so good. First of the year will be in the market for 36 or 48".

I want to know what you think the very best is and why, and if you want give the best value wb, that would be great also (if it happens not to be the same)

Never had a walkbehind, but will need one next year.

Thank you!

2. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Just my opinion, I like Exmark products and have a few. We bought an Exmark 36TTHP this year and can say after using it a bit I definitely don't like the way the one front wheel is extended past the other. You can't get close enough to corners, or beds with it, or you can and I have dropped the tire into the beds edge and scalped the hell out of the edge. Other than that I like the way it cuts and runs.

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

hustler 37" walk behind....

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Best all round is the one that makes ya the most $$$, reliable, and easiest to use.

5. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

i have two scag 48" hydro walk behinds and i think that they are easy to use and are bult like tanks. I think the two best brands on the market are the scag and the exmark

6. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

a stander :)

7. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Own two Hustler walkbehinds and are awsome mowers. Looking to add a 37" to the line up.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

That is an immpossible question to awnser. I would start with ferris, never owned one, but its in bold in your sig line, so you must be happy with it and the dealer, and thats a big part of it.

9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

True, I am happy with my ferris, however I know that the walkbehinds and riders are totaly different animals. Know nothing about the ferris walkbehinds.

Thank you for all the responses, was hoping for a more clear picture though. Everyone replied to what they thought was the best, but I need to know why. I have never used a walkbehind, therefore know nothing about the controls, and from what I can see there are some big differences. So if you guys can, let me know about the controls.

Thanks

10. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

The controls for the hydro scag are easy. You have a parking brake lever you have to take off before you go anywhere. Then you move the speed selector foward to where you want (I put mine all the way). After that take of the thumb locks. Each side has a hand control for each pump. Letting go will make it go foward. Pull it up and you will feel the control go into a "notch" (for lack of a better word). Pull the handle all the way up for reverse. The pumps are infinitely variable for maximum control. Use both handles in conjunction for "true" zero-turns, curves ect. Sounds very complex but it is really easy.

A belt drive has thumb locks for the brakes on each wheel. Use your knee to select a gear. Let go of handles for foward motion. Pull up to stop each wheel. Gear drives will not perform a true zero-turn and only have reverse assist. For reverse, you must stop, put it in reverse, and let go of the handles.

I highly suggest getting a hydro for its various advantages. If you are not going to do gated areas, I would get the 48 too.

Hope this helps.