What is The Very Best???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the very best mower for mowing in heavy dew? I had a bad problem last year with my mower in the morning dew. What brand and model, 2 deck sizes 36" and 52". And it needs to be a very good striper. Thanks:waving:

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I was just reading a post yesterday about the 7-Iron II deck of John Deere. Owners were talking about mowing in rain and dew in the early morning before it evaporates off and they said that they could mow when most other machines couldn't.

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I am running into the same problem with my exmarks in the morning dew. Clumps everywhere. I have heard alot of good things about John Deere's 7 iron deck. I am going to demo one this spring to see how it does. Also Hustler's new XR-7 deck looks good and is suppose to cut down on the clumping in the wet stuff.

4. Gatewayuser

I might demo a deere 36"wb and a 52" ztr and see how it does, the problem with jd is price but if it gets me out earlier in the morning then its worth it. Last year there were times when I could'nt mow until 1PM.

5. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean. What mower are you currently using for the dewy mornings. Just curious.

6. Gatewayuser

Greatdane gateway.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Do the math. Nothing, I mean nothing will stop clumping from wet grass, regardless of what anyone says. HOWEVER................. You can use a high powered mower, use a double set of super lift blades, which may or not be offered directly from the manufacturer, and blow the grass "through" the fast enough, and "out" the machine fast enough to basically eliminate grass clumping.
    These are my custom made, but a few after-market companies are making blades with a similar amount of super lift.
    Pete

custom blade.jpg

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What effect (if any) do you think they will have on the spindle towers Pete?

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Pete??

Where can i get the ULTRA lift blades???

John

10. Gatewayuser

Wow I can see that pulling trash in from a mile away!
    I already run high lift doubles. Maybe I will run triples:p. Thanks!:waving: