What is the weirdest job requst you have recieved

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by B_gerrits, Nov 21, 2007.

1. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few weird ones. I have been paid to spray ammonia under a mobile home, I have been paid to bbq at a party, but the best one I had a guy call and want sod installed. I show up and start to measure the property so I can get the sq footage and the guy asks me what I am doing. I tell him and he says I misunderstood him he explains what he want is to cut out some of his grass and put in the area he wants new grass in and it will spread to fill that whole area in:laugh:
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What is so strange about that? Depending on what grass it is, it WILL spread to cover it. Maybe he's just a VERY patient man.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've had my share of odd requests but if it doesn't make sense then I'm not getting into it.
    There's some thing goes on in the planning > estimating > execution ...> results stage that bothers me, what I mean is if I can foresee nothing good coming of it then I'm better off turning it down.

It is my job to determine if theirs is a good idea, and it may even be but if I can not see the results forget it, half the time I can't even see through the execution, my mind is reeling and I'm like HUhhhh, it's time to go, usually this is one case where I do take the time to explain to the customer what I believe they would be getting for their money and why I would rather not do this.

Because what usually happens later is they either never call back, never pay, or I get calls for more of the same.

And yeah I know about those who insist, too :laugh:
    I tell them it would be best to call a couple more businesses and see what they say, and take all of the input and make a logical choice.
  4. B_gerrits

The area he wanted the grass to grow into was about 700 sq feet, the area he wanted to take grass from about 400 sq feet the grass type was bermuda so your right it would spread in about 10 years. I could not see tearing up the lawn he had and placing some in the new area so both areas look like crap. I suggested seeding the new area but he wanted no part of that so I bailed not going to do that job and look like an idiot.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Alright, odd requests:

Most of mine have to do with trying to save a dollar thou, attempts to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Beyond that there's a few Sandford & Son (junk hauling) requests, I suppose I could do this but at $200 a load this never goes far. Of interest to note is when a regular asks me if I could use some load of junk (translation: haul for free + etc), I haven't quite figured out an answer to this one besides the usual uhhh no but it also hasn't happened much lately so things must be improving.

Brush clearing or bush hogging with the finish mower.
    I did try a few of these with chainsaw and hedge trimmers and what have you.
    One day I will have a tractor, with a shovel, a backhoe, and maybe rough cutters too.
  6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

If you avtually agreed to do the BBQ and spray the ammonia then that is why you get those weird request so much probably.

It just does not put off a professional image going to bbq for someone when you are a lawn maintenance company.
  7. B_gerrits

The bbq was for an elderly lady that I did all kinds of work for. I totally redid her front yard, painting in her house, landscape in her back yard, pressure wash her house. Dump runs, I even did some deliveries for her bus as well as re-formating her computer several times. she was a bus owner and having a meeting and showing off the work I did, great time to hand out bus cards.The ammonia actually made sence she had raccoons under the coach. I told her I wasn't a qualified pest control service and really didn't know much about raccoons she told me she has had them before and the ammonia worked she just couldn't get under the coach. I actually started this thread to hear some of you guys more unusual stories or funny ones a little levity.
  8. B_gerrits

I get this a lot. it's always this line "I only have a few things that need to go" and of course they would like done for free. When I first started out I use to do it then my house started to look like Sanford&Son and I would have to pay for the dump and do the labor of loading the crap for free. Now I will take it but even if it's only one thing I charge for it. My bus is a little different than LCO I do home maintainance. At one time I wanted to offer one stop shopping. I have a buddy that is a contractor, and another that does tile so I thought if I got job offers that I can't do I would give it to them. Problem with that is if cust is unhappy with them you get the blame so no more of that. Landscaping & LCO is my specialty and I love it but the market here is brutal and thought by diversifing my market would bring me more work.
  9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I had a guy call me " im looking for some info on hydroseeding and price associated with it" I go out on a sat night to measure it up his existing lawn looked good to me, I answer all his questions. I ask so what section of your lawn were you looking to have redone? He looks at me puzzled. I say well the lawn looks good to me, you must have a small section you wanted redone. He looks at me and says "Oh I didnt want my yard hydroseeded, I was just looking to find out more about it and how much it costs" I said so you have no intention of hiring me. He says no not at all was just curious. I say so ou had me come out here on a Sat night and made me miss diner w/ my wife and kids, your a piece of work pal and i walked off. If punching him in the snout wouldnt get me sued or put in jail he would have been on the floor.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

lady saw my ad for fall cleanup in the paper. called me to come out. started showing me her garage and wanted me to clean it out. then there was the lady who wanted me to try and fix her lamp...OH and the one who wanted me to install a new phone jack in her house too...lest I forget the lady who got a VCR from her kids for Christmas and had no idea how to use it and wanted me to explain it to her.