What is the Wieght of a yard of mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cooperlandscaping, Jul 3, 2008.

1. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

What is the Wieght of a yard of mulch. I am talking about double shredded hardwoord. Just trying to figure out how much i can fit on my trailer and how high i need to have the sides built. I am looking at a 2008 PRO STAR TRAILER , 76'' WIDE X 16' LONG ON THE FLOOR, TOP WIND JACK, 2- 5/16'' BALL COUPLER, W/ SAFTY CHAINS, 4' MESH SIDES, FULL WIDTH SPLIT REAR GATE, TREATED FLOORING, ST- 205/75R X 15'' LOAD RANGE C TIRES, 545 WHITE SPOKE WHEELS, 3500# SPRING AXLES, RV PLUG, BLACK IN COLOR, 7000# GVWR, 2245# SHIPPING WEIGHT. They are asking $3000.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I usually go with 700-800 lbs....

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

With my F-350 dump, I can haul 2.5 tons with it. That's not a whole lot of dirt or stone when you look at it.

Of course mulch is lighter, with my sides and some nifty loading I can squeeze 4 yards of mulch in it. I want to weigh it some time, but I think I'm close to 2 tons, I'm not sure because most of the time it is fairly wet, and I'm going off how much my helper springs sag.

Hope that helps somewhat to come up with a guesstimate.

Also, I used to have a snowmobile trailer when I started out, and with sides, I could get 2 yards in it no problem without overloading the trailer too much. This trailer was 8' by 8' and had tiny tires and axle.

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

Mulch pretty dry is about 900lbs per yrd

Wet Mulch maybe 10-1100 lbs

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

took the words out of my mouth

6. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

Thankyou everyone

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

wow really? I guess im not suprised at that #, my estimate wouldnt have been too far off. I know the really dry stuff does seem much lighter and lots of times we get it freshly ground up so it seems heavy. I know in my older f150, 2 yards in it heaping was REALLY weighting that sucker down, and the most ive ever had in it measured was 2700ls of sand, distributed as forward as i could, that was scary :/

I know our 14' dump trailer takes 10-12 yards heaping, never realized it was THAT heavy, i never throught i could max out the capacity of it with mulch though. I guess its because we never get weighed with mulch ever so i wouldnt know. The trailer is a 14' dump trailer, weighs 4100lbs empty and say with just 10 yards of mulch in it @1000lbs per yard is 14000lbs, or 2k over what its rated for, i drive all over with it like this too :/

Whats the weight difference of it when its just dumped in "fluffy" vs packed in with a loader? I mean sometimes i dump the trailer, fully tilted and the mulch pile doesnt move an inch till i hit the gas lol. I've always just guessed that the trailer full was close to its 12k total weight, not 2k over

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

Yep we truck alot of mulch, your only a ton over, thats no big deal :d

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

My 91 dodge 250 with a dump insert and high sides moves 5 yards. Where i buy it it is scaled and the load weighs in at around 2.2 ton for 5yds. Then the insert adds another .5ton to the load. That old dodge loves it. With the factory overload springs she doesnt sway much but i do try to avoid hills with stops at the bottom and only work in town with loads like that.