WHAT is the worst ACCIDENT you have had? Tell tell!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Lizards, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Lawn Lizards

Lawn Lizards LawnSite Member

About 1 1/2 years ago, I was backing my Exmark 48" w/b off the trailor. Cranked it up, put in my earphones and ....... well, I couldn't really hear anything (that's my excuse), but wasn't paying attention. I held the left brake to do a 180 and head towards the driveway to start. As I was turning, a lawn spraying truck was flying down the street!!! WHAM!!!!

My wheel support slammed into the metal ladder on the side of the truck and whipped me back around facing the trailor!! hahahaha well, I wasn't laughing at the time. My wheel support (10 gauge pipe) was completely ripped off. That was the only damage ($70). Didn't even hurt the truck. I was ok, just got thrown off the sulky onto my feet.

I was all shook up after it, but now I laugh about it and it's a really FUNNY story to tell at a bar. I GOT IN AN ACCIDENT WITH A TRUCK; ON MY LAWNMOWER!

I want to hear some of your stories. C'mon!

2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well about 3 years ago when i got my first ZTR i thought it would go anywhere my W/B would.well i was very very wrong.i was on one of my commercial props with it which was 95% all hill.it was working out great.i started at the bottom of the hill and i was going across the hill not up and down.when i made pass # 23 i was two passes away from the top.well in a matter of a second it lost all its grip and started flying straight down the hill.i tried working the drive wheels.having one go forward and one backing up hopping to get it to turn to one side.well she went straight down into the main road 4 lanes and hit the guard rail and i went flying off.mower needed a upper frame with new front casters.so now everyone knows why i cut with a w/b and sulky 90% of the time lol.

3. Lawn Lizards

Lawn Lizards LawnSite Member

lol, that's great!

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I've had a few very minor accidents from doing this. Thankfully nothing major, knock on wood.

5. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

in the industry...
    while pruning i cut off a little skin off my leg (above the knee)
    oh and Also our truck got in a car accident. We had no damage but the other car got wrecked. I wasn't driving though, That's about it.

6. SLC1234

SLC1234 LawnSite Member

First Time running our new Hustler 3400 with the collection system on. The first time out we were sucking up wet grass and the collection system got clogged up, first time running it, I got off of it, turned the blades off, and took the tube off to unclog the discharge, I look at the PTO shaft and that had stopped turning, and I had my ear protection on so I stick my hand in the opening to unclog it, well the impeller blades were still turning at almost full speed and I stopped them with my fingers, broke three fingers and almost cut two of them off, I was running around the machine, cursing and bleeding pretty bad, a security guard stopped and picked me up, took me to my other workers and had them take me to the hospital. Was a pretty bad day, and I learned my lesson. Everything healed up pretty good, you can barely see any scars and have full feeling in almost all of my fingers, but that is the last time I will do anything that stupid. Oh well live and learn.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

7. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

last year was cutting sideways across face of a hill on a job my son usually mows. Exmark Lazer Z. I had only been there once or twice before. Lost traction, mower slipped around facing uphill, I made the mistake of pushing forward on the sticks instead of pulling back and backing the 5 feet to the bottom. Front wheels came up and over my head. I tried to jump. Ended up face down on a street with the machine upside down and at right angles to my body. Engine quit from swallowing oil thru the air cleaner. I was trapped under the gas tank, which was losing a steady small stream of gas right onto my back. Traffic stopped and it took 6 guys to lift the mower enough for me to crawl out from under it. All I could think about was hoping no buystander lit a cigarette. Thanks to my higher power, the only thing injured was my pride. Bent the control levers on the mower, had to buy new air cleaner and back to work went the mower. I finished the yard and called it a day. Went to next one and couldn't do it, had the willies. There are several hills that we used to cut that now get done with weedeaters. Afterwards my son said he never went on that hill with a mower when he cut the yard.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

This is what can happen..................No. Its not my foot.

mvc-002s.jpg

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Another angle.....

mvc-004s.jpg

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

About 10 years ago, I was taking down a large tree by myself at a commercial property that was closed for the weekend. So, I was all by myself. I was used to using a real little chain saw, but for this job, I rented a big one. Well, somehow, I swung the saw across in front of me and then noticed my pants leg was cut at my right knee. A closer look confirmed that I had cut my knee with the saw and the knee cap was exposed.
    I hopped to my truck, got out my first aid kit, cut off the leg of my jeans and managed to get a makshift bandage on my knee. Drove myself to the hosptal emergency room and they cleaned up the cut and put in 17 stitches. I was very lucky. I have never done any tree cutting since. I sub it all out. I hate to even use my little chain saw.:(