What is the worst thing you have hit while mowing grass??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CowboysLawnCare, Jun 17, 2009.

1. CowboysLawnCare

CowboysLawnCare LawnSite Member

The other day I was mowing a new account with very tall grass and I hit a 1/2 inch piece of rebar sticking out of the ground. I must have bent it over enough to shave a little bit off the top. Not 20 min. later, I hit a alluminum baseball bat. It looked like tiger stripes where the blade sliced through the bat.

My mower still ran good and cut good so I was lucky. I just wanted to know what some of yall have hit in the past and how bad of damage it was.

2. wmslc

wmslc LawnSite Member

I hit a three foot section of re-bar last year. It was laying on the ground of a new lawn (not buried at all, and slightly elevated so the blades actually lifted it). Unfortunately, after about 20hrs on the mower, I had to replace two of the spindle housings (not covered by the warranty anymore...OUCH).

Fortunately, no injuries were involved. And that is why we charge double for the first mow (unless another respectable LCO has been maintaining).:)

3. CowboysLawnCare

Yea, I live in South Louisiana. I know you have all heard of the Rednecks with cars on blocks in the front yards and crap everywhere. Well I cut their grass. Always something new.

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i really want to get a chipmunk under my belt this year. seems to be a very high population this year to so my odds are good. i almost had one yesterday, this little dumbshit almost ran right into the discharge himself but at the last second he went righ behind the deck under the mower and out the other side. i was mad!!

5. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

On that note... I am hoping to get a lil striped gopher that is bothering a lawn I do.... and I'll even go so far as to mess up the lawn stripes if he gives me the chance!!!

I've got hundreds of voles under my deck... they just make a quick "knock" noise as they hit the deck housing and leave a puff of fur in thier wake.

6. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing Sonic a few years ago, and the guy who owns it asked me to mow the lot next door (he owned the empty lot too). So I did, and someone had cut a flagpole down with a torch and left about 2 or 3 inches of the pipe sticking up out of the ground. I never saw it and hit it going at normal speed. It bent the top of the deck where the spindle assembly bolts on, broke the spindle assembly, and ruined the blade. It ended up being a $500 fix. I always watch and am a pretty observant guy, but sometimes things just slip by and it happens. That's probably the worst thing i've hit though.

7. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Most damaging was a 6" hidden cast iron pipe.

Worst was cow crap!

8. CowboysLawnCare

Haha, Cow crap? You can't walk hardly anywhere on my 8 acres without stepping in cow or horse crap. Nothing new to this ole' country boy.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The worst thing I ever hit was a rusty horseshoe peg sticking up in some brown reeds. It blended right in. I broke a spindle on that one. I hit these last year. The huge 18"+ tent stake was just laying in the grass. I never saw it. The angle iron was on an overgrown lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tonic

Tonic LawnSite Member

A field hockey ball ... it punched a hole through a brand new aluminium catcher. Only good pat was it also put a hole in the customers garage door. glad it didn't hit anyone.