What is there besides Lesco?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zz4guy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Are there any other national franchizes out there selling professional fertilizers? There is a Lesco dealer in my town but I want to compare prices and shop around before commiting to Lesco. Everybody says Lesco is expensive.

2. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

there is a local seed and fert dealer here that sells lebanon fertilizer. i used lesco in the past with good results. i can get the same results with lebanon for about $4.85 per bag cheaper than lesco. i still use momentum and three way from lesco. willie

3. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Search the internet there are allot of fert dealers/manufactures out there. Problem with most of these guys is that they have min pallets and gallonage plus delivery charges and they don't really talk about that until your sucked in.

4. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Tyr Jonathan Greene

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

LESCO is # 1 here, # 2 = UAP, Lebanan = # 3. Might be more. Call 'em all & get their best price. Happy Holidays, american.

QUOTE=zz4guy;2064372]Are there any other national franchizes out there selling professional fertilizers? There is a Lesco dealer in my town but I want to compare prices and shop around before commiting to Lesco. Everybody says Lesco is expensive.[/QUOTE]

6. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Lebanon turf.

7. grugreen

grugreen LawnSite Member

Have you tried Pace Supply in Fairfax? They have a full line of products.

8. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

You may want to check out Nutrients PLUS fertilizer. I happen to know someone who can get you pricing and product guides as well as uses it for their applications. Hint hint. Check out the website for products. www.nutrientsplus.com

Jim Allen

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

None of you have mentioned the option of liquid slow release fertilizers.

Do you know if you have any Archer Daniels Midland or any other MAJOR fertilizer facility in your region?

If you do, you could work toward a goal of transforming yourself from a granular applicator to that of mostly a liquid one.

The advantages?
    If you're a hose reel and spray gun company, the benefit's obvious!
    You're going to save an extra TRIP around the yard most every time. :)

I used to do all SCU too but I found that it was just too tiresome for these old bones! :laugh:

And I looked in to what liquid fertilizers that companies like TGCL and other 'nationals' were using and I was simply shocked at how cheap many of them were going...just melting down and diluting urea many times over and then telling the techs to go out and spray in 90 degree + heat !!!
    ...and brainwashing them into believing they're delivering good value!
    (Gee! GREAT/B] customer service, right? ) :cry:

I decided after that point that I would beat them not only by 'servicing the customer to death so they had no choice but to stay with me', but also by providing the superior products I knew I could find, as well.

So after a little search I found the Morral plant up here in north central Ohio.
    From there I get my liquid fert trucked in and metered into the 'mother' mixing tank about every two weeks during the busy season.
    I use the 17-2-5 50% they sell, almost exclusively now.

I had to work a little to get myself set up for it though...
    The mother 10,000 gallon poly tank was already mine, as was the electric pump and some of the plumbing.
    I just had to build a containment dike with my excavation equipment for spill containment. I also had to buy a decent shutoff system and meter.

If you're a small company- Morral , ADM and other fert companies also offer 'for lease' what are called MINI BULKS of their slow release fertilizer in 275 gallon "bladders" that are mounted on skids.
    They will charge you a deposit for having each "bladder" that you have in your possession- but you get all those back eventually...

Mini-bulks work the same way as liquid tanker fert delivery.
    You just tell them how often you want bulks delivered and empty ones picked up.

...but bear in mind this will probably only work economically freight-cost wise for you if you have a liquid fert plant relatively close to you!

To see a sample of what I'm talking about go to morralcompanies.com

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. We were there today (Fairfax). Nice folks.:)