What is this and how do I fix it???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by T.Defense, Jul 16, 2005.

1. T.Defense

T.Defense LawnSite Member

I am stumped on these light green patches. They have been around now for over a month, which leads me to believe its not Summer patch or Brown Patch. Am I wrong? Any suggestions?? Is it a wild type of grass a weed?? Thanks for the help.[​IMG]
  2. Are you fertilizing and controlling weeds on this lawn?

Are you positive the grass in the lighter spots is the same grass species as the rest of the lawn?

Did this lawn do the same thing last year?

Does a dog do its business on this lawn?
  3. T.Defense

Thanks for the reply, all good points the grass was planted about 3 years ago, Kentucky Blue, Rye and Red Fescus.
    Did not do it last year at all. (Which is what threw us for a loop)
    No Dogs, cats, nothing but natural wildlife running around.
    We have noticed it starting to do this in other areas of the lawn and yet other areas are unaffected.
    The yard is approx 4 acres.
    I need some advice on this one.

Thanks again,
    T. Defense.
  4. T.Defense

I'm sure someone has come across this somewhere. Can someone please offer some advice on this VERY VERY frustrating problem.

T. Defense

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Dig Up Two 3x3 Inch Squares Of The Area And Take One To Lesco For An Id And Another To The Agricultural Extension Near You...........do It While It Is Still Alive.......preferably The Same Day .
  6. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

First you have to determine if the grass that is dark is the same species as the grass that is light. Then you can determine what it is.

Get a magnifying glass and go to this site.

That site, if used correctly, is the best way to positively identify a grass. Once you determine what each species is, even if it is the same, then we can provide some assistance.

If you really want to solve this then you have to put some effort into it. Identify the grass first. If both patches are the same species then you should do a soil test in a light green spot and a dark green spot. That is the next step to solving your mystery. It does not look like a fungus but it may be. Looks more like a nutrient issue but there is no way of knowing until you do some more work. Let us know.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

From The Picture It Does Look Like Different Types Of Grasses. Fine Fescue Mixed In With Your Turf Type Tall Fescue Is A Big Possibility.
  8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

As Lawn shark says but I would do one thing first. Pure and simple soil sample. Needs to be done once a year any ways. I am guessing if you apply a SR fert with a high Fe concentration say 10% or so you will notice that it will all look the same. This is the short term fix. Identifying the turf and what is underneath is a long term fix and will not be done overnight.
  9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the lawn has just been mowed. Is the uneven color more noticeable then?

Looks like patches of a fast growing turf type (tall fescue, possibly) outgrowing your predominant turf mix. You would be mowing off more grass blade in the patches, resulting in temporary discoloration.

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

I had it in my yard earlier this year and I was told it was Poa Trivialis.