1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is this and how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dcwalker, Jun 22, 2005.

1. dcwalker

dcwalker LawnSite Member

I have a lot of these in my front and back yard. Last year I pulled them but they just seemed to multiply. They come out in the summer and dissappear when the weather cools off. I think when I pulled them I just spread more seeds.
    Any ideas?

Thanks- DC

dans pictures 002.jpg

dans pictures 004.jpg

dans pictures 009.jpg
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i dno wtf that crap is but I'm all ears, I got a buncha yards with this weird grass except it doesn't really look like a weed, more like some ornamental grass but just strange...
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Nut sedge. Pulling it only makes it much, much worse.
    When pulling it, you are severing the taproot, thereby allowing the sedge to re-populate.
    Round up will only stunt it, not kill it.
  4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

RoundUp will kill it after a dozen times of hitting it. Try Manage by Monsanto. It is expensive but works well.
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

As stated above, do some research before treating. The tubers on these things are a pain to get up. Constant pulling when immature will eventually kill it. Older plants you must get the tuber up and it is quite deep. Gly (spot application) is your best bet, but be ready for multiple applications. I have found that they prefer super moist areas. Here is a link to help.
  6. dcwalker

dcwalker LawnSite Member

I'm going to try MSMA and pulling it as it pops up. thanks for the info Marko. It's hard to be patient when it's my own yard but looks like I'll have to be. :blob3:
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

That's Nutsedge.

Manage will kill it.

Do NOT pull it.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimec plus will also knock it, but be carefull. do not apply when its too hot outside.
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimec won't touch it ( just a hint but ITS A SEDGE) not a broadleaf weed. BTW that is why trimec is not labeled for it. Lescogran is labeled for it and does a fair job. MSMA is also labeled for it and does admirably. If you use MSMA be mindful of the weather and the type of grass you are spraying over.
  10. dcwalker

dcwalker LawnSite Member

It's bermuda grass and it's in the 90's everyday. Will MSMA effect it? I would like to try to avoid dead patches in my lawn if possible as it is perfect right now except for @#$% nutsedge.