What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by syzer, Apr 4, 2006.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Wild onions :confused:

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Either that or wild garlic. One has a hollow stem but I can never remember which (I think the onion).

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

wild onions,i suggest making a salad.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wild garlic is tough and waxy,not easy to control.This spring try Speed Zone, and in a perfect world it would be good to spray, a couple of days after the lawn has been cut .Follow that up In late Summer and early Fall with a amine formulation of straight 2,4D.

6. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

any three way mix....with 2,4-D

7. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys, I dont believe they are onions because none of them had the ball on the end. I dug them copletely out of the ground in the mulch beds. It just goes to that white end and stops. Its very strange. They go very deep into the ground.

Thanks!

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

With a good amount of surfactant as well.

9. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Is the stem hollow or solid

10. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Jeez louise!! CHEMICAL WAREFARE!!!!!! We'll if you really have to spray wild onion, I'd recommend "ESTER 3 WAY" why use something with a "DANGER" lable when you can use something with a "CAUTION." Before I went fully organic I sprayed my friends house which was FULL of wild onion in a ZOYZIA lawn. Not only did the onions turn blueish then completly die, they havn't returned!

Now.. again... if your gona spray the smelly buggers, at lease when there dead and done, spread a 1/2 inch of organic or Good quality compost or topsoil on top of the area and seed. Water in if you can, but most gardeners don't because of "TIME." Seed and compost are much MUCH stronger than onions! Also....... If your onions are rampid then you should ask the customer if they would like to have a soil test done....... I GAURENTEE "spelling," THAT NOT ONLY IS THE SOIL LOW IN ORGANIC MATTER BUT DEPREIVED OF ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS!!!!!! This process will take time and you must explain to the customer this..... hope I helped... Don't use 2,4d IMO Ester three way works equal too, if not better for onions and all weeds! 2,4d is a component of agent orange... lovely stuff ain't it?