What is this and how do i get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nbcreech, Jun 9, 2006.

1. nbcreech

nbcreech LawnSite Member

I have a weed that I am not sure what it is or how to get rid of it. Images are below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Image036.jpg

Image042.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image025.jpg

2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

3. nbcreech

nbcreech LawnSite Member

Many thanks...... I will give it a try.

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Ant,
    I hate to correct you, but I will anyway;) We all make mistakes.

Spotted Spurge is the weed in the Photos.

3 Way like a Trimec product will work fine.

Pete

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

no problem...your right:drinkup:

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Spurge likes to grow in any bare or thin spots especially along drives and sidewalks. So after you spray it with 3way weed control your next step to keep it from coming back next year is to over-seed to thicken up the grass and fill in bare spots, it also helps to mow the grass at 3 inches or higher.

7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

That little booger right there is the #1 reason for spot sprays.

Well that and black medic.

They just seem to pop up right after we do our broadleaf herbicide treatment. I mean that they don't have any growth/not visible until a few weeks after we spray.

But control over a three year period has show significant results in prevention.

8. nbcreech

nbcreech LawnSite Member

:waving: Thanks again for all the advice. I have fought this weed for several years with limited results, but now that I think about it, when the grass was longer/fuller two years ago the weed did seem to be less prevalent. Thanks again...

9. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Folks,
    Those of you dealing with Prostrate Spurge, You may have the option of using a pre-emergent herbicide labled for it's control...Pre-M, Barricade, and what I like...Team Pro. When many of us made the switch to Dimension, the spurge became a problem, so I went back to the Team Product, as It has a longer Half life in the soil for the Crabgrass vs. Dimension, AND it controls the spurge and a few other troublesome weeds. Less spot weeding for me :)

Read the labels, and see if it's right for you too.

Pete